Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

It wouldn't surprise me to see it become popular among other lines.

Yet another scenario - what is a typical response to having to pay for something that was previously "free"? Get as much as you can for the money. I can see this actually increasing waste. Before the fee someone might have ordered one sandwich and some chips. Now they might order several items. After all, the fee is per order and not per item or per person.

Did they really think this through before implementing it?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Forget my above scenario. I was just reminded that RCI usually asks how many people are being ordered for, so I guess they'll also enforce portion control in the room service orders.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator

I can see someone placing an order at 12:01 am and getting uptight about the fee. I would hope that whoever takes the order will remind the passenger that there will be a charge so that there will be no question upon delivery.

At least this is for just a 5-hour period when many pax are asleep. For now...
Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

As cruisers whether it is RCL, CCL, or NCL we must remember that these companies have huge investments into their ships and operations. As with any company that generates revenues, they need to generate profits and the major cruise companies have shareholders to answer to. They do that by delivering profits to the bottom lines. While some cruisers feel that items charged like the room service fee are nickle and dime type charges, I think we should all expect extra charges like the above will continue to prevail amoung the cruise line companies. They will do whatever it takes to record profitable operations. While we can all think that $3.95 may be a large fee, it really isn't. If you stay at a hotel and order room service, you usually always provide a tip, and then you have to pay for the food. Sure is a great deal, when you can order anything on the cruise line room service menu, and only pay $3.95. That's pretty darn cheap. Also delivery is pretty quick.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Those are all good points, Richard. The bottom line still shows that a cruise is a great value given the price paid.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Dave:

I agree, I think that a cruise can offer one of the best vacation values. If the cruise traveler is savoy, they can find great deals on the high seas. When you can get a cruise for less than $100 per day per person, that includes meals, room, and entertainment that is a great value.

We should all realize in these tough economic times, we as consumers best be prepared for higher costs from user fees, taxes (other than income taxes), and other charges that many entities will ultimately charge. Every company, municipality and state are looking for ways to increase revenues, to cover shortfalls. We see this in the grocery store, as cans of soup are getting smaller and the price keeps going up.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:12 PM

It really wouldn't impact me very much. I do order late sometimes, but we get 3 items for two people. So I usually tip between $3 and $4. I hope they actually get the tip though, and this is not another way of making people feel they should tip more.

Dwayne
Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
They will do whatever it takes to record profitable operations. While we can all think that $3.95 may be a large fee, it really isn't. If you stay at a hotel and order room service, you usually always provide a tip, and then you have to pay for the food. Sure is a great deal, when you can order anything on the cruise line room service menu, and only pay $3.95. That's pretty darn cheap. Also delivery is pretty quick.

There is no denying $3.95 is reasonable for room service compared to a land hotel. The problem is though,for years and years cruise lines have used the argument that they are a better value than land vacations because of their inclusiveness. It seems each year cruise lines are adding some fee or surcharge and slowly evolving away from being inclusive.

Yes, cruise lines need to make a profit and satisfy stock holders. As does any company. When cruise lines add surcharges and raise prices of on board purchases people just find ways to skirt around the added cost. If they raise bar prices more people will "sneak" booze, if they raise photos people will buy less and copy pictures at home, raise shore excursions people look more at outside excursions, add the room service surcharge and I see people wrapping up food from the Windjammer.

What the cruise lines need to do is stop this nonsense of such volatile cruise fares. Charging a price and then rebating $200,$300, $600, etc. at final payment or before sailing. They need to have a more steady cruise fare. Then they would have their profit up front. No skirting around the cruise fare.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
It really wouldn't impact me very much. I do order late sometimes, but we get 3 items for two people. So I usually tip between $3 and $4. I hope they actually get the tip though, and this is not another way of making people feel they should tip more.

Dwayne
Of course it will. I remember when the auto tipping program started & people who used to tip the recommended amount now feel obligated to give additional. Why should this be any different?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
Quote:

Yes, cruise lines need to make a profit and satisfy stock holders. As does any company. When cruise lines add surcharges and raise prices of on board purchases people just find ways to skirt around the added cost. If they raise bar prices more people will "sneak" booze, if they raise photos people will buy less and copy pictures at home, raise shore excursions people look more at outside excursions, add the room service surcharge and I see people wrapping up food from the Windjammer.
We've been doing all of the above for years. While I realize that the average person doesn't, I can do so without adding any of the additional & unnecessary charges. We gave up on the photo's years ago when the embarkation photo price was upped to $20. Our tours are either by outside excursions, public bus, taxi cab, or selectively chosen from the ships tours (which is very rare). If people are that lazy not to want to walk up to the Windjammer & get something before it shuts down or limits the selections for the evening, they should accept the extra delivery charges & not complain.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribean, cruise, fee, menu, order, rccl, rci, room, roual, royal, service