Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 AM

My husband and I drink very little. We like that the cruise line isn't all inclusive. After going to an all inclusive resort and seeing the consumption going on I think the ships have the right idea on this one. We don't use soda much or internet or room service. So far a lot of the surcharges don't affect us. I am sure one of these days a cut will come for one of my sacred cows and then I will be crying on this board!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator

That is the thing with all of these surcharges. They will inevitably increase in number as well as cost. Sooner or later, those of us who are fine with them now will get hit. And then you have a decision to make as to who will get your future cruise business. It probably isn't as hard for those who never cruised back when these things largely didn't exist. It is almost like a generational thing. Some don't have a problem with ala carte cruising. Some don't want to have to hand over their cruise card every time they turn around. I am somewhere in the middle right now.

But I am more and more convinced that at some point in the next few years I will have to decide if I will continue with mainstream cruising, or if I will move to premium lines and simply not cruise as often.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
As time goes on I;m sure more of these small surcharges will pop up. If they did this on enough things they could lower the price of the cruise.

About a year ago I had someone at the first night's dinner ask me if I knew how much something on the menu costs. This was after he had ordered a burger and fries.

Hopefully it will never come to that.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM

I don't know how cruise rates can go much lower. This winter they've been ridiculously low. Particularly on 3 and 4 day cruises. The port fees and government taxes make up a large portion of the cruise fare. Those aren't likely to go lower.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM

Here's a little more insight on the room service surcharge. here
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Why does RCI do these things without a lot of effort at the PR aspects of it beforehand? It isn't the first time. This allows the ill will and speculation to happen. And then we find out their reasons for doing it on a non-RCI website days after they implemented the new fee. At least we arrived at the food waste reasoning in our initial speculation.

By the way, for those interested the room service staff will get to keep $1.50 for the tip while RCI keeps the rest of the charge. Drink-only orders are exempt from the surcharge.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Personally I think the $3.95 is money well spent and it is less than what we would normally tip. My kids love room service, sit on the balcony eating your sandwich and those chips!!!
Try find an all-inclusive that will deliver a blt to your room after midnight. I would be upset if they removed the room service....
Leigh

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Well, I am not surprised. You know they stay late a board meetings trying to figure how to squeeze every penny they can... And they are targeting folks who are proably a bit tipsy, and since there is no other option availale, they will pay. They will learn, if you keep hitting people with these "fees" they might stay home. And, chances are, some people will still tip the room service staff anyways. What's next, 5 cents per ice cube? ten cents for an empty glass? There would be no end to these "fees" the fees could end up costing as much as the cruise....
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry in Miami:
I heard there s now a fee of $3.95 for room service from 12AM to 5AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Apparently RCI is going to extend the hours of Sorrento's and have some offerings at the Windjammer to offer something without a fee in the late night hours.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM

During our first cruise on the Explorer of the Seas one side of the Windjammer stayed open until 11 p.m. We went every night for a second dessert or a snack of some kind after the show and it was just perfect, and no line and no problem finding a place to sit. On all our subsequent cruises the Windjammer closed at 9 p.m. making it impossible to pop up there after the show. Found the line at Cafe Prominade and Sorrentoes usually discouraging--RCCL should take a look at this demand for snacks at that time and consider Windjammer hours again--they could economize by keeping the selection smaller, maybe similar to the afternoon tea? and only opening a section or side.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribean, cruise, fee, menu, order, rccl, rci, room, roual, royal, service