Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM

My wife and I have decided to take the family on a cruise next December (2006). We are planning on booking the Dec. 29th 4-Day Bahamas cruise. My biggest concern is the weather; my second biggest concern is our kids. Their age ranges from 10 to 18. I want this to an enjoyable experience for them. Can anyone provide some insight about his particular ship (Sovereign of the Seas), or provide advice on etiquette of the ship. Is this a good first timer cruise with kids? Thanks.

Sunscape Resorts
Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM

While the SOS is one of RC's older vessels, it has recently been refurbished and the improvements make this a good choice for a first cruise. The youth facilities have been totally revamped and they have added a Johnny Rockets and Sorrento's Pizza (both should be hits with your children). During the Christmas/New Year holiday the ship will be filled with other children of all ages so they will have plenty of opportunities to make new friends and socialize. You should all have a wonderful time!!!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-03-2005, 06:55 PM

Hello,

One of the reasons that there has been a huge increase in cruising , is that children of all ages (I know that this is stealing from the circus but I could not think of anything more pertinent) really enjoy going on a cruise. You should, however, get all of the kids involved. They should have some idea as to the ports you will be visiting. They should also understand that they may be having dinner with people whom they have just met.

I am sure that you and your family will have a great time on the Sovereign of the Seas.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:26 AM

I appreciate your replies. Our initial plan is not to say anything about the cruise to the kids. We wanted it to be a surprise. The 18 year old knows, but I hope we can keep it a secret from the others. They won't have a clue until we reach the port, I hope.

How does dinner seating work? we will have six in our party. Is it still possible that we will be eating with another family or group? Also, are the kids allowed to dine during the formal dinner?

Sunscape Resorts
Old 11-04-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
How does dinner seating work? we will have six in our party. Is it still possible that we will be eating with another family or group? Also, are the kids allowed to dine during the formal dinner?
Breakfast and lunch are usually open seating, meaning you get seated at a table when you go to the dining room. If all 6 of you go together, you may or may not be at a table that holds 6. You can also eat breakfast and lunch at the very extensive buffet near the pool.

For dinner, you tell your travel agent when you book the cruise if you prefer main seating (around 6pm) or late seating (around 8:30pm). When you check in for your cruise at the pier, you are given your table number, and you eat at that table each night. Many or most tables hold 6 or 8 people, so you could have a table to yourselves, or with two more people. There are some tables that hold 10, and if you request a large table, it's possible that you'll be at one of those.

The children are very welcome in the dining room every night, including formal night(s). As at breakfast and lunch times, there is also a dinner buffet up near the pool. If there are some nights you prefer not to change clothes or if you want a more casual atmosphere, you can eat dinner at the buffet as often as you want. And, having teenagers in your group, it's possible that they may want to eat in the dining room *and* at the buffet!

Sandy
Old 11-05-2005, 08:07 AM

I would suggest investing in some walkie talkies for your children. having cruised with my son and some of his friends, sometimes the logistic of finding one another can become trying. If you each have a walkie talkie, you can immediate rally the troops in a moment. It is also a wise investment for your children so that they have a "lifeline" in case they want it.

Used on the ship and in the ports, you won't have to worry about keeping track of your kids. Just a thought.

Tom
Old 11-07-2005, 11:42 AM

I second the Walkie Talkie idea. In March we bough walkie talkies and forgot them. There were times we could not find each other and it wasn't as much fun because we weren't always together.
This past week we went with 4 couples and I gave each a walkie talkie for their rooms. It was an ABSOLUTE blast and there were times if we had not had them is there no way in XXXX we would have found each other. Even in port we lost each other and used them to find each other. It is a great investment and they really made our trip so much MORE fun!
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996

Closed Thread