Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 05:34 PM

Hi all. I hope you all permit me to ask a few questions, as my wife and I are about to take our first cruise. We are going on the Splendor of the Seas, out of Galveston for 6 days in February 2006.

If anyone can answer any or all of these questions for me, I would be very appreciative.

1) Hidden fees - any? I have read no, but I have also read that I have to be prepared to tip so many people!

2) Who should I tip, when, and how much? This will be a big relief to no the answer to this.

3) Cellphone service - Is there any on the ship, or at the ports of Costa Maya or Cozymel?

4) Internet access - Is there any in the Oceanview Staterooms?

Okay, 4 for today. I am sure if and when these get answered, I will come up with some more.

God Bless and Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:46 PM

Hi Rouse,

I can answer some of your questions:

Quote:
1) Hidden fees - any? I have read no, but I have also read that I have to be prepared to tip so many people!
The extra fees include alcoholic drinks, sodas such as Coke, shore excursions, tips, spa services, and things you buy in the ship's stores, along with tips.

Quote:
Who should I tip, when, and how much? This will be a big relief to no the answer to this.
Tips are given out the last night on the ship. Your room steward will leave envelopes in your room sometime during your last full day onboard. Basically, there are 3 people who get tips. The room steward gets $3.50 per person, per night. The dining room waiter gets an identical amount. The assistant waiter gets $2.00 per person per night. Many people tip the Maitre d' something like 75 cents per person, per night. There may also be an envelope for the Chief Room Steward. Some people tip him, some don't. If someone onboard has given you extra special service and you want to extend a gratuity, by all means, do so. The above amounts are guidelines; you can give more if you think the person deserves it.

Quote:
3) Cellphone service - Is there any on the ship, or at the ports of Costa Maya or Cozymel?
Royal Caribbean has been installing cell phone capabilities on all of its ships. Someone else should be able to tell you if the Splendour has that capability yet.

Quote:
Internet access - Is there any in the Oceanview Staterooms?
There is an internet cafe onboard, but I'm not sure about in-cabin access. Again, someone else should be able to talk about this specific ship.

You're going to have a great time!

Sandy
Old 12-31-2005, 07:45 AM

Thank you very much for the answers to our questions, Sandy!

We are really looking forward to our first cruise.

I did come up with another question, and maybe you can help.

I was reviewing some reviews online or was looking over some other threads, and I saw that someone was able to find out that their cruise had a lot of vacancies. Is there a way that I can find out much fun I am going to have with a lot of different new friends?
Old 12-31-2005, 08:03 AM

Rouse2k1

Ive sent you a private message. Look at your private messaging tool under the link: Go.

Marita

Old 12-31-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Is there a way that I can find out much fun I am going to have with a lot of different new friends?
Rouse, if you worked with a travel agent, the agent should be able to find out how full the ship is. Or you could probably call the cruise line to ask; I think they might give you a general idea.

Sandy
Old 01-01-2006, 03:48 PM

I worked through my sister in-law. I will see what else I can find out.

One last question and I think I have worn you all out with the newbie stuff:

What are the essentials to pack? I know I read that someone suggested taking along an extension cord if more than one female was going to share a cabin.

Any other necessities, other than that and a pillow.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM

Rouse, I never travel with my own pillow. They take up too much room, especially considering I seldom pack into anything other than a rollaboard and flight bag combination. Some folks here were recommending taking your own pillow when bedbugs were discovered in a ship's pillow. Even so, unless I needed a specific pillow medically, I'd take my chances (after inspecting the bedding and mattresses if I were worried about bed bugs).

Sandy
Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks again, Sandy.

I was being cheeky when I spoke of bringing my own pillow. However, my wife carries her pillow with her on most trips.

So any other tidbits of necessity that I should know about?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Rouse, I can't think of anything to tell you, but please feel free to ask more questions as they come up.

Sandy
Old 01-02-2006, 05:44 PM

Rouse2k1:
Regarding the cell phone use and coverage, you may want to check with your carrier for the following information:
1. International plan coverage for specific ports/islands to see if they cover there, and if so, what are the charges per minute. Then make sure you ask them to set you up on the international plan if you are still interested.

2. check your particular cell phone to see if it has the capability for international plans, if you are interested.

Regarding what to bring, I believe you can look back on some old messages posted at this site to find suggested "packing lists" or search "cruise packing lists" on the web for suggestions from previous cruise travellers.

Hope you have a fantastic first cruise!!

Closed Thread