Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM

I picked up some cheap "Cobra" two-ways at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. They were in the clearance bin and included all of the needed accessories (including rechargable batteries).

They also worked fine with my in-law's Motorolas.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Like many electronic products these days, the radios sold by Cobra, Uniden, Midland, Motorola, etc., probably come from the same factory in China or Singapore. The profit margin is so low that it wouldn't pay for each company to maintain their own assembly line. I have a set of Unidens and a set of Midlands. They all work fine, and since the frequencies are just that, frequencies, all four radios can "talk" to each other.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 PM

I spoke to the FCC.

The frequencies that we can use on board are 14 through 18. I did not check for land use as that was not a concern. It won't hurt to double check with the cruise director.
I found some really great little Motorolas at Target for 18.00 a pair.
With all our concerns lately, I hope this helps another family feel a little more secure.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 PM

For courtesy sake, get talkies with a silent or vibrate mode. It is extremely rude to go around the ship disrupting the ambience with loud, squawking electronics of any sort. And have you ever noticed that people using talkies, cell phones, etc., feel they must yell into the device to be heard at the other end? Most don't realize (or care) that the sensitive microphones can pick up a whisper...
LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast Repo - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old 06-08-2006, 03:21 AM

My goodness!

Why in the world would you assume that I didn't know better?

Frankly, I'm not very concerned about disturbing the ambiance in the teen disco at midnight. I am concerned about safety, not idle chit chat.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by worrywart:
My goodness!

Why in the world would you assume that I didn't know better?

Frankly, I'm not very concerned about disturbing the ambiance in the teen disco at midnight. I am concerned about safety, not idle chit chat.
Well, considering you came here for advice, I think Lightsluvr's comments were very appropriate.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:44 AM

I certainly appreciate the need to respect other people's privacy and space. Especially in a situation where one has no escape.
No one is a bigger advocate of that than me, believe me. Furthermore, I completely agree with what he/she said.
I found the wording somewhat indelicate and not appropriate to my circumstances.
I am sorry to say, but in light of recent events, we have to expect that people will be a little extra concerned for the safety of their traveling companions. It will probably require some tolerance.
Since the ship not only rents, but sells these devices, I can only assume that there is a demand for them. Unfortunately, they probably don't come with rules for proper etiqette.
That is a subject for another thread.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:25 AM

Wow. Original OPs all said the proposed Walkie-talkies were to be purchased (or rented) for children or young people. I am sure these children/young people are all taught in the courtesies of talkie operation...yeah right. The talkies will be treated just like the toys they are, without regard for those who don't want to "play". Go ahead and spend the money...chances are they won't work unless you're on the same deck anyway.
I respect the desire for safety and security for the kids...but a $10 radio isn't going to do it...
Bon Voyage.
LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast Repo - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old 07-02-2006, 09:29 AM

Well, the inexpensive radios worked fine. We were greatful to feel that we didn't need them, but other family members used theirs during the 2 days at sea.
With all of the delightful activity on that ship, I know they didn't disturb anyone, but provided a great service for those that needed them.
The topless sunbather caused a greater disturbance.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear the radios worked out for you. I guess I have been violating some rule - I use channel 19.

How was the cruise?

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, epic, fcc, good, license, recomended, ship, ships, slim, talkie, talkies, type, walkie, walkiwe