Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   upgrades (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/1942-upgrades.html)

kls 01-31-2010 07:27 AM

Does RC offer free room upgrades if there are available rooms when bordering? If so, what is the procedure for making that request?

Thank you.

Dave 01-31-2010 08:04 AM

No, RCI doesn't do that. In fact RCI generally doesn't get into the upgrade circus at any stage of the booking. What you booked is what you get 99.9% of the time. They also are perhaps the quickest to put the "no upgrades" sign at the guest relations desk.

Sonny V 01-31-2010 06:33 PM

Sorry, Dave is right. No upgrades even if there are vacant staterooms.

Sonny

7thSon 02-08-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave:
No, RCI doesn't do that. In fact RCI generally doesn't get into the upgrade circus at any stage of the booking. What you booked is what you get 99.9% of the time. They also are perhaps the quickest to put the "no upgrades" sign at the guest relations desk.
Do they ever remove that sign?

I went to the desk because of a problem and just for a joke I said that I have a complaint. I said that I booked a inside cabin and was "upgraded' to a suite (a cabin that I was in) and was not happy because I wanted a inside cabin. You can't imagine the look I got from the rep and the rush of the passengers in line that were chomping at the bit to trade rooms.

Just don't understand passengers that say that they love and prefer a inside but are always looking for the upgrade to a balcony or better.

Sonny V 02-10-2010 06:19 PM

They can look all they want...they're not going to get it. Even if you're a Diamond Plus Member with a hundred cruises and booked an inside cabin, you could only be upgraded to an outside cabin. The last two cruises I was on, the ship was fully booked and there were no upgrades.

Sonny

Dwayne 02-11-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

I went to the desk because of a problem and just for a joke I said that I have a complaint. I said that I booked a inside cabin and was "upgraded' to a suite (a cabin that I was in) and was not happy because I wanted a inside cabin. You can't imagine the look I got from the rep and the rush of the passengers in line that were chomping at the bit to trade rooms.
I can imagine the look you got. First of all, they don't normally upgrade assigned cabins without prior notification and guest consent. The most common instance would usually be if you had a Category Guarantee booking (that you chose) as possibly being upgraded and something became available at the last minute.

Secondly, I highly doubt they thought the joke was very funny. Cabin assignments are made by the shore based operations prior to Embarkation day. The Crew works extremely long hours on the ships. On Embarkation day they are very busy helping guests with legitimate needs.

Dwayne

Sonny V 02-11-2010 10:17 PM

When you book a guarantee category you have a good chance on getting a higher category than the guaranteed. For example: I booked a guaranteed E-2 category and I was assigned to a D-3 on my cruise in January. That was an upgrade from an E-2. I knew what stateroom I was getting within a week after I booked the cruise. They never wait until the last minute to assign staterooms. The drawback on booking a guarantee category is you don't get to pick a location on the ship. Guaranteed category's aren't always available. I think it's a good idea to take advantage of them if you want to save some money. On my January 10th cruise I booked two cabins and saved $400.

Sonny