Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:50 PM

I just came back from a short cruise (3 days)on Sovereign of the Seas. I bought some scotch at onboard shops and at a port. I checked my liquor from the port and was told to pick it up the day get get off the ship between 6-8am at a certain location. The liquor I bought on board I had to pick up during the same hours at a different location. Lines were long at both areas and some liquor was missing for a few costumers? Is this something new that they are doing? It can be a hassle specially on a big ship with more people on it. Does anybody know if this is yet another change by the cruise lines or something that happens just on short cruises?
I am going on another cruise in March and wanted to know in advance.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 AM

Nica - How did you transport the liquor home on the plane with the new liquid regulations?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 AM

On our last Princess cruise, they delivered it to our room on the next to last day in the evening. On our Costa Cruise, we had to pick it up. All cruise lines are doing something similar, so I'd be prepared to stand in line on your next cruise as well. Kclvt, we drove, so we just loaded it in the car. I would assume on a plane, you have to check it.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 AM

i was on the Voyager in Nov and they delivered it to our room on the last night and we packed it in our suitcases. i think we each had 3 bottles and packed them very carefully and then checked the bags at the airport. i hope they continue to deliver it to your room, it is so much easier.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 AM

In the past, we had it delivered to our room on the last night also. This was something new to me and it is a hassle. I guess that if you are flying you can get your bags at the cruise terminal pack your beverage there and then check it in with your baggage at the airport. I really hope that they go back to delivering the night before. On one cruise, I even took it to my room since I bought it before dinner on the last night. I can see that they are trying to get people buying drinks until the last moment but come on it just makes your departure that much worse. You have to wait in lines enough already and then have a long trip ahead of you to get home.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM

I am sure trying to pack it at the terminal isn't any good. You wouldn't really be able to pack it as securely as you should and boy what a mess when you got to your destination.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 PM

I'd take some bubble wrap along if I were going to buy bottles of booze on the ship. Also, for you flying home, you would have to watch the weight if you pack it in your luggage. Personally, if you flying home, I don't think it worth the hassel just to save a few bucks.

Sonny
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM

I am beginning to agree with you. I bought 4 total bottles on this cruise and it was a hassel to collect them. Given that I did save a little on the gold labels.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Sonny - I have to agree with you about the weight...I have to weigh the option of bringing home liquor or bringing my 20 pairs of shoes! I think the shoes win!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

I used to look forward to St. Thomas because of the cheap liquor, but these days it just isn't worth the hassle if I am flying home after the cruise.

Given that two airlines have now decided to charge for a second checked bag (United and US Airways - more to follow), and will no doubt follow up by being more stringent on carry-ons, it will be easy to lose whatever savings you gained when you bought the booze.

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, buying, caribbean, carnival, cruise, flying, home, majesty, package, puerto, rico, royal, seas, ship, ships