Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Hey all

I am so excited to be going on our third cruise in the spring - Mariner of the Seas. However, I am coordinating this for a large group and we are all bringing are teen and pre-teen kids for the first time. My question is will we feel safe letting them go in groups to the sports court, etc.? Should a parent be with them (or close by) all the time?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Hi Ohio Sports Mom

Hey all of the kids will have a blast. You did not mention age groups. I do however recommend that the parents enroll all of the kids into the Adventure Ocean which is a specailly designed area for all kids ages over 3 years. I don't know about younger than that. But RCCL has things for the kids to do. And just like the adults have and a itenery of things to do so do the kids. My sister took her teenage daughter on this ship and she had a blast. That is what I suggest you do is to enroll "all" of the kids into that program which if I remember correctly is on deck 12.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 10-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks Ceemonster for the info. The kids ages range between just a couple down at the 7-8 range to a bunch in the 10-13 range and a few in the 14-16 range. When I mentioned the RC programs, though, my kids just turned their noses up. Do they make them "cool" so the kids want to join in? I thought even if they didn't join in on the RC programs, they will have so many friends with them, they should find plenty to do. I was just a little worried because at their age they will want to go off on their own (in a group) and I didn't know if I would feel safe letting them do that.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:02 PM

Hey Ohio Sports Mom

Well my nephew had the same reaction and after about 15 minutes quickly changed his mind and so the kids of most of my friends that took part in the activities. I think if you can convience them to have an open mind about and to try it you all will see they want to be at every event. The people that RCCL hired to do this activity are great and I have spoken to them a few times on different ships. One night my nephew did not return to the cabin until 12:30 am, everyone was worried and thought they needed to go looking for him but he said he had a fantastic time at the show they went to and all of the events. I am sure the kids in your group will love it. There are also events that they can do with the parents also.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 10-22-2006, 05:59 AM

As long as the children practice the buddy system and do not wander off on their own adventures they will be perfectly safe. Although you sound like a very responsible parent (of course all of us Ohio Mom's are - VBG), I would caution you that if you allow the children a relatively free rein that you still keep close tabs on them (and their behavior) for the sake of other guests. Groups of teens and pre-teens sometimes get together and the "group mentality" takes over and they can get a bit unruly and disrupt the enjoyment of the cruise for others (i.e. using the elevators as toys or the hot tubs as places for water fights or diving stations). My now 24 year old daughter has been cruising all of her life and I know it was not always easy to maintain the delicate balance between allowing her freedom while remaining a conscientious parent.

I would also encourage you to at least have the children check-out the Adventure Ocean program. They can pick and choose what activities they wish to participate in. Actually, the space and various facilities that are solely reserved for children of different age groups on the Mariner is exceptional.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-22-2006, 08:05 AM

Thanks again for your feedback - Thanks Nancy and, yes, I am super-consciencious (not to the liking of my kids most of the time) that they behave and not disrupt or disrespect other cruisers and, yes, I know how the teen mentality works when they get together with their friends. I know we will be watching out for them for that reason most of the time - there's just still that "knot in the belly" feeling about their safety when you can't be with them 24/7. I think I will encourage them more to at least check out the RC programs, though. Maybe as a group it would be "cool".

Closed Thread