Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 AM

I was talking to a bar tender one evening on Princess. He was from England. He said that he made between $12-$25/hour tending bar in England, depending on the bar. I couldn't believe it, I made $3/hr. plus tips when I tended bar. I thought it was great since when I waited tables I only made $1.80/hour (I started at $1.10/hour). So, in that sense, I guess tips are built into the salaries.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Tips are built into salaries. When I waitressed I got $2.something an hour from my employer. This was less than minimum wage. The difference was meant to be made up in tips. Some people left tips. Some didn't. Some who did didn't leave what I considered an appropriate amount. Some left more. And I had to record how much I made nightly in tips so Uncle Sam could get his cut.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Oh, my heavens, yes. Uncle Sam needs to know. We had to claim tips to make up to minimum wage, whether you actually received them or not. Most of the time, we did well, other times, we didn't.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Well, I certainly wouldn't be against this should it go through. On my previous (and only) two cruises, I've pre-paid my gratuities, but on my last, gave a little extra to my dining room waitress, as she did most of the work, and also offered to move me to another table she had since it was never for certain the family who I was originally sitting with would show up. This way I always had some company at dinner. They would show up one night, and not the next. After that second night (the first night the family I was originally sitting with), I took her up on her offer to move to a vacant seat at her other table.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM

When Carnival first changed theirs I didn't like it. I guess it was just the idea of it. Now that I'm used to it, I like it just fine.

Dwayne
Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 AM
hi guys, from an Irish point of view, tipping just isnt standard in Ireland, well thats not correct it would be for an evening meal but most certainly not for a taxi or God forbid in a bar!!! The minimum wage here is 8.65 euro per hour. And I would think that alot of people in bars here would be on more than that. It actually might be no harm to have a lesser wage and let the barman 'earn' his wages by being courteous etc.

While on our cruises I of course tipped the staff and gave extra to our waitress who was the nicest person to us, she was so accommodating and nothing was ever a problem. I think the head waiter does NOTHING and even though I tipped him out of guilt I wouldnt tip him again to be honest. He just waltzs around and I felt we got way more attention from our waiting staff.

So in short tipping is not customary in Ireland or the UK, however it is tradion to do it in the USA. However after an evening meal most if not all Irish would tip something.

Its just one of those things, and the Irish taxi drivers would nt expect a tip, they get quite a hard time here actually and they're always complaining, Im just back from a short trip to the UK and the taxi drivers were so nice, got out of the cars opened the door, put my bag in the boot, and then at the end of the journey took out my bag again, really nice fellas - you wouldnt get an Irish taxi driver doing that! He'll just talk and talk and talk and talk....
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 AM

Corkgirl, I guess they really like it when Americans visit and tip for everything. If I had ever had the pleasure of visiting Ireland or England, I would have been tipping just like I would do here in the states. Even though I know we're not supposed to, I'd still feel wierd not tipping.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 AM

It is acceptable in Ireland and England to just leave the coin change from your bill.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi Penny,

Yes this is true, they do genuinely love Americans though but like someone else said, not all Americans tip just like not all Irish dont! Its a tricky one. maybe with the expensive prices for food here no wonder they dont get tipped as much! Food is expensive here.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
However after an evening meal most if not all Irish would tip something.
Especially if they've been drinking, eh?

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, change, gratuities, policy, rci, removing, tip