Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ML25CA:
After comparing various choices I have decided and booked on the Liberty of the Seas for this summer!! Can't wait to be back on a RCL ship. I really enjoyed my time on the Explorer and am sure to enjoy the Liberty of the Seas even more!
I think you made a very wise choice. Congratulations!

When are you going? Maybe I'll sea-ya on board...?

Sonny
Old 12-17-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
nd booked on the Liberty of the Seas for this summer!! Can't wait to be back on a RCL ship. I really enjoyed my time on the Explorer and am sure to enjoy the Liberty of the Seas even more!
I have booked the August 8th cruise from Miami. This will be my fourth cruise (2nd with Royal).All 4 cruises I have taken have been in early August and we have always had great weather! Hoping for the same thing.

We are visiting St-Martin (seen already on my last cruise...great shopping), Hati (also been before...nice quite island) and the new stop I will be visiting is P. Rico.

Anything nice to do there. Take into account that I have two young children (2 and 5).

thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM

I meant San Juan, sorry for the confusion....
Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Hi there,

I am trying to decide between the Eastern Carribean (St. Maarten, San Juan and Labridee) or Western Carribean (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel) trips that the Liberty of the Seas offers. Who has been on these cruises, and which do you think may be the better Ports of Call?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

Quote:
I am trying to decide between the Eastern Carribean (St. Maarten, San Juan and Labridee) or Western Carribean (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel) trips that the Liberty of the Seas offers. Who has been on these cruises, and which do you think may be the better Ports of Call?
It really depends on what you want to do in the ports. Better is subjective. Labadee is a private beach resort owned by Royal Caribbean. It is a beach day with water activities, two zip lines, and a picnic lunch. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are major snorkeling and diving destinations although they also have other things to do such as Mayan ruin tours in Cozumel. Ocho Rios is mostly about climbing Dunn's River Falls. I personally can't stand the place anymore. St. Maarten is beaches and shopping. San Juan is more a cultural stop to me, with shopping and interesting tours to the Barcardi rum factory and wandering around Old San Juan.

Generally, western Caribbean cruises are for water sports and eastern itineraries are more touristy in a classic sense. I prefer the western runs. Cozumel is my favorite stop in the Caribbean. I also like Labadee, even more so now that they built a pier.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM

I've done both several times and like them both. Dave has an excellent description of the difference between the Eastern and Western cruises. You'll love Labadee.

Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Sonny
Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM

We usually go west. Cozumel is a great port--we have done Atlantis sub, Royal Dolphin Swim, San Gervaso ruin/beach day, Tulum tour (mainland), jeep site seeing/snorkel/beach/lunch day, shopping, oh I can't remember it all. Lots of variety. Ocho is not great. Have a planned activity, preferably through the ship. Jamaica is so lush and tropical it is fabulous, but it is not safe, extremely poor, and culturally the vendors are the most aggressive I have seen. It is hard to decide if I like it or hate it there. Cayman is mostly a beach or snorkel or dive destination. There are tours of the island but I wonder why.

South to me gets more expensive for everything you want to do. More shopping. More site seeing.

The best way to decide is look at shore tours offered and pick an itinery based on what you want to do.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
We've done both Eastern and Western, and Dave has it right on spot. I liked Grand Cayman (Sting Ray City) is amazing, and I've never been to San Juan yet-going next Sept. I'm not the "let's go look type, and way past my Dunn River Falls climbing years so they're out (I hated Ocho Rios). I personally would rather just float around the ocean on the ship, so MY preference is the Eastern, since it only has three stops, and NOW, one of those is (on Liberty) is Labadee, which I loved. If you haven't done either, like others on this site, you'll find somethings you love, and others you won't. What the heck, you're on a ship in the Caribbean!!! Beats the heck out of snow and cold up here!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM

Hi,

3 adults are going on the Liberty of the Seas during March Break the ports of call - Labadee, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.
First time on RCI any hints would be good

My problem is that I want to get to safe and clean, beautiful beaches in Ochos Rios, and Cozumel as fast as possible after getting off the ship and I don't know how.

Please help and provide directions (within walking distance would be preferable).

P.S

We just plan on swimming/lying on the beach all day don't care for snorkeling, diving etc.

Thanks so much! And if you think of any other suggestions that would help let me know.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Ocho Rios is my least favorite port in the Caribbean. If you want a clean safe beach there, walk off the ship and about 200 hundred yards away is Island Village, a secure open mall with a beach down by Margaritaville (located in the Island Village complex). It is literally right at the pier and you don't need a taxi.

In Cozumel, just go to the taxi stand at the dock and tell them you want to go to Paradise Beach. Paradise has no entry fee but they expect you to buy food and drinks of $10 per person or more (you will anyway). Taxis will be available to bring you back to the ship. Other than a phony little beach (big sandbox really) at "Senor Frogs 1/2" Bar, there are no beaches within walking distance of the piers. The taxi to Paradise only takes a few minutes.

Closed Thread

Tags
balconies, balcony, carnival, cheap, cruise, difference, differences, freedom, independence, kids, liberty, newer, reviews, sea, seas, ship