Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/2003-freedom-seas-liberty-seas.html)

ML25CA 12-11-2009 08:28 AM

I am planning my fourth cruise, 2nd with Royal but have never been on either of these ships.

Can someone please provide me with the main differences (pros/cons) from past experiences.

Any information would greatly help.

FYI, My first cruise was on the Explorer of the Seas. Are either of these ships similar/different, newer/older etc.

thanks in advance

spoheat 12-11-2009 09:25 AM

Liberty and Freedom are both newer. They carry more passengers than the Explorer, a couple hundred more. They each have a Flow-rider surf simulator and an H2O zone (an aquatic play area for children--which we really love. We are too old for the H2O zone but LOVE that so many younger children hang there leaving more of the deck and pool area by the main swimming pools less congested with little kids). The Promenade area will be slightly longer and in addition to cafe prominade there is a Sorrento's Pizza on the Promenade. Everything is similar to the Voyager class ships, of which Explorer is one, but stretched a bit larger including the theater, dining rooms and windjammer, fitness center, and pool area. And being on a newer ship is just so much fun! We were on the Liberty two springs ago and loved it. The staff (at least at the time) was fantastic. Probably the best we had experienced in all our cruises. Hope this helps!

Dave 12-11-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Are either of these ships similar/different
The Freedom and Liberty are identical except for some minor decor differences.

spoheat 12-11-2009 12:46 PM

Oh, sorry, I thought your question was to compare to what you had in the past. Dave's right they are pretty much identical. I would love to be going on either one.

Sonny V 12-11-2009 05:13 PM

I see that the Liberty has some better deals. The Freedom sails out of Cape Canaveral and the Liberty sails out of Miami if that makes any difference. I've been on both ships and loved them. The cantilevered jacuzzi's are really cool.

Sonny

Dave 12-11-2009 05:21 PM

While I was on the Oasis I heard many people talking about "really" cheap prices for the Liberty.

Sonny V 12-11-2009 10:09 PM

The only really low prices are in the month of October on the Liberty. As low as $629 for a balcony. The way the economy is going, I believe the there will be other cruise discounts popping up. The air fare is the big spoiler for me.

Sonny

MiamiSpartan 12-12-2009 05:33 AM

Have been on both, and am getting ready to book Independence...
As everyone has said, just minor decor differences between the two...
Just comes down to if you want to leave from Central or South Florida....

peter l 12-12-2009 05:36 AM

The air fare is a bummer to all of us that live in the NE as well...Last springs price for air fare for the two of us was really eye popping to us, but we have no alternative as the wife can only go in Feb or Apr and those are costly times as schools out at that time.

Peterl

Jim1012 12-12-2009 06:32 AM

Sonny V, we live fairly close to each other, just across the state line-as much as I HATE O'Hare, it MAY be worth trying to fly out of there-on our upcoming cruise in Sept, 2010, I got airfare of $252.20 round trip out of O'Hare, and almost twice that much out of Milwaukee-may be worth the Van Galder bus ride down to the flatland state-air fare is a problem for many of us, but by planning WAY ahead, sometimes you can find some deals-
and Liberty has reduced our total fare by over $3090 since I started booking and paying back in September