Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Wow.. that was a fun topic to read through. I guess I'm a "cruise Trekkie" too because I'm right there with Sonny and Dave.

This whole country has gotten to a point where no one takes blame for their own actions. Someone trys to drink a hot coffee while driving and spills it on themselves and wins a lawsuit! Now we all get to drink cold coffee.

Now because this guy gets drunk and decides to jump overboard, the cruise line ends up paying money. If someone were to jump from a tall building, does that make the building owners response for making it too tall? Everyone knows that jumping off the ship is a dealy act, we can't protect those irresponsible enough (or motivated enough to do so.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

I don't think we can say that he decided to jump overboard.

Still, I don't see how the cruise line could possibly be held accountable. Settling with the wife was probably all they could do -- a trial would have been very costly and would have brought unwarranted negative publicity to the cruise line.

vacationbound, I am sorry for your loss, and I do hope the foundation established in his name does some good. But I maintain that the cruise line bears no responsibility. If that makes me appear insensitive, so be it.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Jim,

People think I am being ridiculous when I say there are screened-in balconies in our future. Just like the McDonald's coffee and the fact that most of the cost of step ladders is due to lawsuits.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

And of course that is what it came down to - a business decision by the RCI legal department that compared the cost of getting this thing out of the way to the ongoing negative press and cost of a trial which would have been fodder for the tabloid TV shows. In the big picture, the 1 million dollars is probably equal to the profits generated by one 7-day cruise on a 2000 passenger ship.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Dave, I hope your prediction about screened-in balconies never comes to pass! The ships take so many precautions now that it's hard to find a good place to take pictures on the upper decks because the plexiglass safety barrier is so high!

Maybe if a person is going to plan to use his or her cruise time to drink themselves into oblivion, they should get an inside cabin!

Enough said!

Nadine
Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 AM

First, I agree with all of you that we are each responsible for our own actions.
This response is mainly for "Joarc". I believe I am the one you are referring to about booking my 7 and 12 years old in their own room. Maybe I am being a little too sensitive to your comment. Yes, I did think about all the things that could go "wrong". That is why I posted on this board to get advice. I was told by a representative through RCC to book this way. I chose to book two adjoining rooms instead due to the feedback from this board and due to my own concerns. I even questioned the representative about this practice and he said "it is done all the time". I personally feel like you have attacked me without knowing the whole story. To read your post, it makes me seem like an uncaring mom, which I am not.
This board is a wonderful tool to help with cruising. I feel like I know some of you personally from reading about your trips (Hi, Sonny!!!)and I just wanted to defend myself.
I am sure your response was for the welfare of my children and I do appreciate this, but I wanted to explain myself.
Thanks, Tina
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM

joarc, actually I just wanted to be included on this post because I'd love nothing else than to cruise on the Freedom...balcony of course please and not to worry I will have both feet on the ground at all times so good luck on the lottery. Now for my contribution to this crazy matter.......I feel for the family who is left without a son and hope they get every cent of that million dollars.I just cannot understand why a newly married women would get so intoxicated with a group of strangers and end up in a hallway next to one of their rooms, passed out. Meanwhile her newly wed hubbie is being tossed to the wind....RCL should have fined her with drunkin disorderly instead they award her 1 million dollars?? and no doubt poor George had a life insurance policy. But what is really unsettling is the people that did it are walking free and probably sailing away on yet another funfilled cruise. I just don't understand why RCL awarded this cash,maybe they should have putt it towards a more thorough ivestigation to find the person(s) responsible instead of caving. Sorry for running off but stuff like this drives me crazy, just be resonsible for your own stupid actions!
Sympathy goes out to the parents & siblings of George.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Closed Thread