Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi there,

This is for the girls out there! Just wondering if anyone has had any beauty treatments on Liberty, I had one on voyager last year and unfortunately I have to say it was not worth the money, I found that they were pressurising me into buying products all the time, while I just wanted to relax, (I was paying enough for the privilege) without feeling a little embarassed because I didnt want to buy any of the products. I would love some female feed back please!

thank you
Old 06-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Every spa experience will be different depending on the person attending you. The spa products are where they can make big money. Some attendants are better sales people than others. Just be "cheeky" up front and tell them "I'm not interested in buying any products, I only want the facial"
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM

I just got off the Monarch a few weeks ago. I hadn't cruised since Freedom in june of '06. I noticed a price increase in their treatments. I never spa, unless I am on a cruise. I had often heard how much more expensive it is on a cruise ship, vs a land spa. I live here in Phoenix, Arizona. I was checking out spas in Scottsdale, at the expensive hotels. I was shocked how much cheaper it was. A stones massage at the Camelback Inn Spa, (high end spa here) was $125 or $135, I think the massage was 60 min. A stones massage on the ship is $175 for 50min and $195 for 75 min. I couldn't believe it. Oh well, I still pay the price on the ship, I figure it's my vacation, and by golly I'm going to get a massage. As far as the products they push hard to sell, I usually lie. I say, "no thanks, I've already bought some products this cruise", I have also said "no thanks, I still has some products left from my last cruise". They don't know, and it shuts them up pretty fast. I make sure I give them a decent tip, usually 15%. I don't really feel bad about lying, there already raping me for the price of the massage. I have a list (spa menu) of spa treatments and prices that the ship hands out,if you are curious. It is not a full list of all there treatments, but it has most of the massages it offers. Let me know if you need a price for something. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 PM

I went into the spa for one of the algae treatments while onboard the Mariner in April and while it was a neat experience, its overpriced and I felt super pressured to buy the products. Luckily, I had booked the treatment for the first evening we were onboard (boarded the ship at noon, went for my treatment at 5pm and made it to dinner with plenty of time to spare for second seating) and took advantage of the special pricing- half off. If you're looking to go to the spa, just wait till they offer the special pricing (usually the first night/day at sea and the last two days of the trip on a week long cruise) and make sure you book your appt. early on!

I also got my hair done in the salon on formal night. Call me biased as my sister is an exceptional stylist, but I wasn't too impressed with the salon staff. Still, it was a fun thing to do while onboard.

I agree though- I'll definitely be foregoing the spa this next time!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 AM

I was on Liberty last October and I agree with you on past experiences on other ships about the hard sell. It does put you off as nobody likes to feel pressured or awkward, the whole point is you've paid for a nice treatment you want to enjoy it. I avoided facial's this time (as they try and sell you loads of stuff) and went for hot stone massage which was amazing. There isn't much they can try and sell you from a massage apart from the oil. I also did a learning massage class with my husband. It was $60 or something and you got the massage oil to take away. We really enjoyed it and it was very interesting.
I wouldn't personally bother with the hair salon, as I have been disappointed by both of my experiences.
Book early though, as soon as you get on board. First day specials and sea days tend to have better deals.
I personally thought the spa was nicer on the Voyager of the Seas as it had a big jacuzzi downstairs in the gym area and they also had a couples Rasul treatment suite (self applied mud treatment, incase you don't know) which is lots of fun! They have replaced this with a teeth whitening clinic on Liberty, which all 4 of us had done, and was quite expensive, don't think it worked that well and the follow up products you need to buy are expensive.
What is the point to the boxing ring (which replaced the jacuzzi)? I didn't see anyone using it at all when we went to the gym, and it seems to take up a lot of space.
Have a great cruise, Liberty is a great ship. We are off on Independence on the 27th August.
I hope my spa experience comments are of some use to you.
Got our cruise docs yesterday, can't wait!
Tracy
Old 08-02-2008, 04:33 PM
hi on our liberty cruise my wife and our wedding party all had there nails and hair done. They all complained after that the service was shocking two of the staff were argueing with each other whilst doing there hair, they were very pushy on selling the products to them. I wouldn't mind she even tried to get to do my toe nails and I'm a man. told her she'd need some hedge trimmers. On a serious note I dont thinkbmy wife will ever use the spa again.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 PM

I will agree the spa prices are much heftier on ship than land based salons. On my last cruise I had the hot stone massage. It was nice but not worth the $200.00 price. On my next cruise I would rather get 2 lesser costing massages than 1 expensive treatment. I also let the staff know up front that I am not interested in buying their products and they have never pressured me.

Fantasy - Bahamas 4/96
Rhaposdy OTS - S Caribbean 11/97
Jewel OTS - Europe 9/07
Mariner OTS - Caribbean 10/08

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, hair, liberty, royal, salon