Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 04:19 PM

I've never cruised before but always hear people say they gain weight on a cruise. Is that really true or do people just exaggerate? Has anyone really gained weight just in a weeks time? I know there are lots to do to exercise so I was just wondering.

Thanks,
Linda

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 10-12-2006, 04:35 PM

I actually only gained 2lbs on my 7day cruise. I worked out one day for about 45mins. All the walking you do on the ship plus at the ports makes up for those lovely calories you pack on...Also we snorkeled on two or our excursions too, so swimming around in the ocean is a good work out. Dont shy away from the food though. Sorrento's pizza is so good especially after about 2am and have been drinking all day...Everybody is different but I must say I had 4-5 slices a day of the pizza mostly at night before bed and on Lobster night I had 3 tails, so I never shyed away from food...Enjoy your vacation and enjoy the wonderful food!! Your not going to blow up in a week..
Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I've found the best way to avoid putting on the pounds is to avoid the buffets.... plan to eat in the dining room for breakfast and lunch - the two biggest grazing times for buffet - and avoid the late night noshing. I only gained two pounds on an 11 day Hawaiian cruise, and I believe that was due to the lateness of our dining.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:20 PM

I don't go on a cruise to watch what I eat so I don't gain any weight. I watch what I eat a couple of weeks before I go on a cruise. I don't usually use the elevators, and I keep active. I usually gain 5 to 7 pound from pigging-out. Eating is one of the main events of a cruise! If you're worried about gaining weight, a ship isn't a wise choice for a vacation. I'm getting hungry just thinking about next week.

Sonny
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 PM

Well My first Cruise in 1983 was on the Rhapsody (not of the Seas) and I really did gain 18 lbs. I swear! I ate everything in sight. But then again we had meals like stuffed African Lobster Tail with Crabmeat stuffing, 16oz prime rib, perfectly cooked, Rack of lamb, Crab legs, Frog legs for apitizers, snails, oh yea Mandrin style ribs (yum), Whole Maine Lobsters, If you were a certified diver like one of our table mates they cooked "your catch" which one night was succulant Grouper and a Midnight buffet everynight. I did eat everything that I could. I usually go on 3-4 cruises a year and that was the cruise that I gained the weight on that I have never lost. I really never lost that 18 lbs. That ship was the Rhapsody.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 AM

I have to agree with Sonny I have been on 6 cruises and never even thought about NOT eating. Not to mention how much one could gain drinking those fancy drinks I usually go have fun and worry about the few extra pounds when I get home. Go have a good time and eat whatever you want, believe me you will enjoy it!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 AM

I've been on five 7-day cruises, and I usually gain about 3 or 4 pounds each time. But the cruise we just took four weeks ago, Rhapsody of the Seas, I didn't gain even one pound. It's not because I didn't eat either. The food was excellent. I think it's partly because we did get in some exercising during the week. We walked on the jogging track most every day, took the stairs, went snorkeling, etc. Plus I limited the times I ate in the Windjammer. Those buffets can cause major damage!! Relax about it and have a good time. You can always work off those extra pounds when you get back home.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:47 AM

I'm probably one of the wierd ones, I usually loose weight. It's not because I don't eat, I really do. I always use the stairs, we go snorkeling in every port, we usually walk around in every port, and I eat good food, like salads and veggies. We do the buffet for breakfast and lunch, then the dining room for dinner. However, if I did gain a couple of pounds, I wouldn't worry about it until I got home. I'm even planning on getting a Pistachio Gellato in Antigua. (Rachael Ray had it on her $40/day show and it looked awesome.) Enjoy your cruise and diet when you return home!!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:28 AM

I dont think gaining an obscene amount of weight is likely, I cant believe ceemonster actually gained 18lbs. That is crazy. Dont worry you get plent of exercise on the ship by walking.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 PM

As much as I exercise on a cruise (just came off a 5 day on Explorer and used the elevator 3 times) I still find I gain. Do not be afraid to eat on the cruise, just account for it before or after and enjoy the food. There is no shortage and I found very little I didn't like.

Closed Thread