Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 PM

I am a first time cruiser celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary. What info can you share regarding cruising from Bayonne Nj to Bermuda on the Explorer? Have option of sailing from Philadelphia 7 day on Empress. Same time frame in September.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Hi mizom58, and welcome to cruise-chat. And, contgratulations to you and your spouse on your 25th anniversary!

The answer to the question is whether you want the ship or destination to be the main attraction. The Explorer of the Seas itinerary has you docked in Bermuda for about a day and a half -- and in a section that has less to offer. The Empress of the Seas itinerary spends more time in Bermuda, and you will also dock in two ports that have more to see and do. Additionally, the two ports on the Empress of the Seas itinerary are going to be phased out in the years ahead, so now's your time to visit.

But, if it's the ship that's the attraction, you can't go wrong with Explorer of the Seas. And, if time is a consideration, it is possible to visit the other two ports from King's Wharf (where Explorer of the Seas docks); it just takes some time.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 PM

I agree with LiasP...you can't go wrong with either! I was on the Empress to Bermuda in May and LOVED it. I am used to the larger ships, and was very afraid of trying this ship, however I was pleasently surprised. The ship is Beautiful. Be aware however, that the cabins are on the small side if you or your husband tend to be clostrophobic (spelling?). I am also partial to Bermuda, since my husband and I lived there for the first 3 years of our marriage, so the more time that the ship spends there the better. There is so much to see in Bermuda that it would be hard to fit it into 1 day!

Maybe you could take the Empress for your 25th, then you'll both be hooked on cruising and you can make your way "up" to the bigger ships!

Either way-have a great time! (I'm jealous!)

Jodi

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks, our 25th needs to be celebrated! My TA gave us both options and held a cabin in the Empress and in the Explorer. I like the idea of a more intimate cruise and staying in Bermuda longer and at different ports, the downside is staying in a Category H room, OView, 139 sqft. I need to decide by Thursday, soooooooo unsure!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Actually, 139 square feet isn't a bad size. It's amazing how well these cabins are laid out.

Are you going to book a specific stateroom, or a guarantee (where you are assured at least a category H, but don't pick the actual cabin)? If you go with the guarantee, note that the cabins one category higher (G) may have obstructed views.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM

Mizom58, I agree with LisaP. Having longer in Bermuda is worth the smaller rooms that you won't be in that much anyway. My husband, and other family and friends, are going to me on the Empress on Sept. 8. We'll have 3 H category cabins. When are you cruising? Check here for a picture and 3D floor plan of an H cabin.

Mary
Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 PM

We are looking at the 9/22-9/29 from Philadelphia. It does seem that the Empress will offer more sites of Bermuda than docking at Kings wharf from the Explorer. I looked at the floor layout and agree 139 sqft isn'tso bad. I def don't want an obstructed view. Do you think the smaller size of the ship will be more likely to cause sea sickness which I am prone to get?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

mizom58, I've been on ships of various sizes, and have felt motion on some large ships but not others, and have not felt a thing on some small ships, while I have on others. One tip I've used a few times to combat seasickness is to eat an apple. I have no idea why it works, but it does -- and with no side effects. A crew member told me of this remedy years ago.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:55 PM

I just booked the Empress for our Bermuda Trip and wanted to thank everyone for their help in my decision. We just couldn't make our minds up between the Explorer for 5 days or the Empress for 7 days. Now that the decision is made I feel pretty confident that it's the right one for us. We'll sailing out of Philly on the 22nd. If there are any cruisers out there that have any more advise, I'd be happy to hear it! Thanks again, I really hope cruising suits us!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:39 PM

Be sure to let us know how you liked it when you get back!

Happy Sailing!

JOdi

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
bayonne, beach, bermuda, caribbean, carribean, cruise, day, explorer, pack, review, reviews, royal, sea, seas, sick