Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm at a stress point in deciding if I should freely wear what my girlfriend and I am comfortable with, speedos. I have always worn them to the beach to sunbath and to the pool to swim (to keep in shape). But I have been lead to believe speedos are condoned on cruises. Is this true? If so, why? Are speedos on RCI cruises not so popular, but people still wear tehm for comfort and for tanning?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:24 PM

I am more conservative than your average bear, but I find it embarrassing when men wear speedos at private swimming parties. So getting that out of the way, I think on past cruises I've seen a few men wearing speedos, and they were men who should have been more generously covered up, older guys with big tummys. I looked away quickly but ewwww! I do know a lot of the young women used to wear thongs, but I honestly can't remember seeing those lately.

I guess I'd use as a guideline whether you'd be comforable with a friend's thirteen year old daughter standing nearby.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I find it embarrassing when men wear speedos at private swimming parties.

Marian, you said, "I find it embarrassing when men wear speedos at private swimming parties." Are you personally embarrassed (why?) or are you referring to the men who are embarrassed?

I personally do not feel embarrassed at all. I feel very sure of myself...in fact I don't mind the attention as my girlfriend says I look sexy in them!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:47 AM

Glasgow,
On many of my recent cruises there have been men in speedos and I do not believe that any of them were made to feel out of place. Personally, I never found it offensive or embarrassing. I do agree with Marian that they were less than flattering on some of the men who chose to wear them, but it still comes down to personal choice. Interestingly, they seem to be much more prevalent on ships that have an international passenger load, than mostly Americans.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-24-2005, 10:08 AM

Glascow, when you say speedo, I'm picturing the bathing suit men used to wear for competition swimming, a teeny tiny man's bikini.

When a man I know wore a speedo to swim parties, I was the one who felt embarrassed. He was fine. It was embarrassing to me to see a man I knew socially so exposed. Greetings family jewels!

I'm an American in my fifties and I don't live near a beach, so maybe I'm just not used to seeing this type of swimwear. My husband and the vast majority of my men friends wouldn't even consider wearing a speedo in public, but maybe it's just our culture that says it's inappropriate.

I assume your culture says it's fine. If you're young and look great in your speedo, wear it and enjoy your cruise.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the prompt responses. I partly like to were speedos because it affords me a better tan line so that when I wear different short I need no concern myself with silly lines. Yes, guys do care about tan lines too!
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 PM

I just got back from a Wilma-altered cruise on the Navigator. It seemed that a lot non American men(of which there were many) wore speedo's. While I personally think board shorts are much more comfortable, some of the speedo's were not too bad, but some were far too small and the last thing my little sister needed to see was some European guy hanging out of a speedo that was 6 sizes to small. If you choose to wear a speedo please wear one that fits!

Closed Thread

Tags
bear, cruise, cruises, european, forums, hanging, men, pool, royals, speedo, speedos, swimming, wear, wearing, young