Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 AM

I totally agree. Just wish it was being enforced for my cruise in October.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:25 AM

They've said "one bar or lounge on every Royal Caribbean ship onto the roster of smoke-free spaces" lets hope that the entertainment in the smoke free bar is of equal quality. This is a great idea for the non smokers as we hardly ever attend the bars for very long after an event due to the shs. I'm sure other non smokers do likewise.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:51 AM
I agree with the previous few posters. Everyone knows smoking is detrimental to your health; if someone chooses to smoke despite that knowledge, that is their preogative. But as a non-smoker, I should be able to enjoy my vacation without choking on other people's secondhand smoke. I think the new policy is more than fair. There will still be plenty of lounges where the smokers can do their thing, and what non-smoker wants to stay in a room that was just occupied by smokers?

Also must add though...even as someone who does use the gym on the ship, I think it's kind of goofy that Royal Caribbean is trying to promote an overall wellness plan for passengers. I agree with the smoking thing, I appreciate the availability of alternative "healthier" food, but I think it's funny that they're pushing all of it as a big campaign. It's kind of like when McDonald's tried to sell "fit meals" or whatever.

Just my two cents!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 07-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Ok that’s another great action by RCCL… NOT!!!
I am a smoker and I always get the balcony stateroom so I had to spend more $$$ in order to smoke freely at 1:00 am if I want to.
I was last week in a cruise ship
I was looking to the beautiful night sea and smoking a cigarette in my balcony at 2 am like I use to do during my cruises in order to relax from the stress of life,
20 or 30 minutes after I went out to my balcony the couple next to my room got out to their balcony, honeymooners I believe, they were mad because I was smoking so they begins to say comments etc. remember I was there first so,
I stop smoking until they went back to their room but they keep the comments anyway
For so you know non smokers can be unconsidered too.
I have seen many things like:
• Throwing trash from their balconies and rum bottles, so I can’t smoke but they can destroy my planet??
• They can be drunk as hell and yell as they like in the cabin next to me, but I can’t smoke
• I want to know how much time will pass before some non smoker said “I cannot use my balcony because my neighbor is smoking…” or “I want to go to this pub but it’s a smoker zone so smoking should be banned from cruise ships”

People I know is a close space and that you pay good money for your balcony but I also pay good money to use mine, remember we cannot leave the ship at sea to find a place to smoke, this is a sickness and as the constitution said you cannot discriminated by it, I believe we can find a happy medium so smokers can be with non smoker without problems. So I know it my wife doesn’t smoke and we don’t have problems with it, you just have to respect the other person.
Maybe cruise lines can delimit a number of balconies for smokers and other for non smokers Remember

Is easier for a non smoker to find a place than for a smoker do so…
You don’t like it; I can respect your space
But please respect mine also.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM

I can understand you frustration on the limited number of places left for you to smoke (both on the ship & off) but how do you think the non smokers feel when they go on their balcony & get a blast of smoke? They've paid their fare just as well. Perhaps the ships can at least limit smoking balconies to one side or to the rear of the ship?
BTW- If I get a balcony it has to be at the bow to avoid as much of the smoke as possible.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
^^^^^
My point exactly thats a good idea
but remember also that I paid for my balcony so I should have the same rights for smoke as they have for no smoking is a two way street the only problem was after I put away my cigarette they did not stop with the comments and I already stop smoking so...
I can respect the non smoker but I only ask for the same in return
Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Administrator

I am not a smoker, but agree with many of Casanova frankenstein's comments.

Currently, it is the smoker's choice whether to pay for a balcony. In 2008, it will be required, as smoking in the staterooms won't be permitted, but smoking on balconies will. This will cause some smoking pax who typically select inside or oceanview cabins to now pay the higher cost of a cabin with balcony -- and will only lead to more confrontations from pax on neighboring balconies.

On another note, I also find it odd that RCI is promoting this as a safety initiative when the Star Princess fire originated on a balcony. It would make more sense to me to allow pax to smoke in the staterooms themselves, and make the balconies off-limits.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
I am not a smoker, but agree with many of Casanova frankenstein's comments.

Currently, it is the smoker's choice whether to pay for a balcony. In 2008, it will be required, as smoking in the staterooms won't be permitted, but smoking on balconies will. This will cause some smoking pax who typically select inside or oceanview cabins to now pay the higher cost of a cabin with balcony -- and will only lead to more confrontations from pax on neighboring balconies.

On another note, I also find it odd that RCI is promoting this as a safety initiative when the Star Princess fire originated on a balcony. It would make more sense to me to allow pax to smoke in the staterooms themselves, and make the balconies off-limits.

The Princess line has taken very progressive steps to reduce the possibility of fire on a balcony.

They have removed the plastic furniture and replaced them with non-combustible ones. They have replaced the flammable Polycarbonate dividers with aluminum ones. They have installed fire detection devices and sprinklers on the balconies. They have instituted a 24-hour fire watch on balconies. They have instituted special training on how to handle balcony fires. They have implemented special housekeeping procedures for balconies.

I would think that RCI will be implementing many, if not all of these procedures themselves. These steps make the balcony a much safer place to smoke than in a room - which has wood furniture,flamable liquids (brought on board by passengers), flamable clothing, etc.

And of course, all of this will cost money...and who do you think will ultimately wind up paying for it?

Of course, everyone should be courteous to one another, but what this boils down to is not courteousness or respect...it is safety at sea. Carelessly discarded cigarettes cause fires that kill and injure other people. RCL is trying to balance a policy that reduces the potential of fire at sea with the needs of a group of people who are addicted to tobacco.

If, ultimately, the lives of my family are better protected by limiting (or even banning?) cigarette smoking at sea, then I support the move.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Next, it will be chocolate and trans fats.
DrL, Royal Carib has already eliminated trans fats from their food.

Now chocolate is another story. Sure you can rail against smoking bans, but a chocolate ban would *really* be s serious infraction against human and civil rights! I protest just the thought of it!

Sandy
(resident chocoholic)

Closed Thread

Tags
balconies, balcony, carribean, cruise, explorer, lighters, opinions, policy, princess, rcci, rccl, rcclsmoking, rci, royal, smoking