Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 AM

Looking at cruises, we are beginning to wonder if RCC doesn't plan cruises and ports and at sea days with additional on board sales in mind. Maybe I'm way behind the game but it seems like they prefer you NOT to spend time in port- I guess the more you spend there the less you spend on the ship? It seems such a shame to travel so far and onlyu get a few hours somewhere. We are seeing this with the cruise we want to take this fall and we found when we went to belize there was very little time to explore. We had time for one short snorkel trip and never did even step foot in Belize. They had us disembarking at like 8 am-9am and we had to be back on board by one.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 06-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Administrator

As was stated in your other post, there are several factors involved. The port time is dictated by the port authority. The ship has a schedule to keep as far as making it to the next port on time. Etc.

Sure, all the cruise lines like it when the passengers are aboard and spending money. But if they had some secret plot to minimize port times, it would eventually impact their business.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Don't forget that almost everything goes "On Sale" towards the end of each cruise. I would venture to guess that by the next cruise boarding, that same stuff goes right back to regular price-ever seen a sale at Walmart NOT do that, or anywhere else, for that matter. It's called a "Business".
I, for one, could care less if the ship EVER got to a port-I'm one of those where the ship IS the cruise.
If I could afford it, I would do Transatlantics every year.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 AM

You have to admit though it is advantageous for RCCL to keep you on the ship. That is probably my only complaint about the cruise line. While on the Carnival line we paid and were mostly left alone as far as sales pitches. RCCL employees are sales people. They really ask for money throughout the cruise from bingo, drinks, sovienors, spa products, etc. I will honestly admit at the end of the first day of our last cruise we felt taken. We felt we were just walking ATM's. I know the first day you are doing drink cards, etc, but they really need to tone it down some and make it a little less obvious- it almost takes the tone of the straw market it Nassau.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Your one Carnival cruise must have been an exception, because I can tell you that every Carnival cruise I have been on has had plenty of sales pitches for the spa, bingo, jewelry sales, etc. No different than RCI in those respects.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:11 AM

I was reading a publication, not sure where, on travel and the theory was that the Genesis Class ships were the first step toward what they terms "portless cruising"--where the venue is so attractive you won't want to get off, like when you choose an all inclusive resort in Jamaica and never leave it. There are people who don't like the beach, have seen the sights, and just want a luxury vacation. As far as I know the Genesis ships will port where they can be accommodated--that was not the implication--just a theory of where travel might be going with a nod at unemployment and crime rates at some destinations.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 AM

shelby, it seems like you really don't like RCI. There are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from. If you like Carnival, stay with Carnival. There's also Princess, HAL, Costa, Celebrity, NCL, Azumara, Seaborn, Regent, MSC, and 100s more. I'm sure there's an itinerary out there that will be what you are wanting. Most of the major lines call on the same ports, so I know you can find an itinerary out there that will have enough port time for you. All cruise lines are in the business to make money. The more you spend on board, the better for them. Most of the cruise lines contract out the photography, spas, salons, and medical areas. I'm sure the cruise line gets a cut, but have not seen their contracts. I'm sorry you think it's a conspiracy against the passenger, but it's really their business to make money.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Actually, Royal Caribbean is working with Jamaican authorities to develop a new port at Falmouth which will specifically accommodate the Genesis ships. Antigua is also mentioned as a top prospect for the Genesis ships. What was that theory again?

Closed Thread