Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM

We did not get passports for this cruise (May 26th Enchantment) since the deadline was extended for cruises.

My question is, do you think this will pose a problem when getting off in Ocho Rios and Georgetown? Will we have to carry the original birth certificates with us?

We went on Enchantment this past September and no one asked us for our birth certificates when getting on or off the boat. Has things changed?

Any advice is welcome!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I've never been asked for a passport or birth certificate on any island in the Caribbean...the only problem is if you get left behind...then that could be a problem..just don't miss the ship...and next year you will need it for sure just to get on the ship...apply for it now....there is a backup the last I heard...Have a smooth sailing...

Bob E
Old 05-17-2007, 01:11 PM

You should really get a passport for any travel outside the US regardless of how you're going. I know it's not required at this time to board a ship. The problem is, if you have a medical emergency in Ocho Rios do you really want them cutting out your apendix there? You will have no choice, there is no way without a passport to fly home for care. What if a family member were to die, God forbid but things happen. You won't be flying home from your cruise to join your family, you can't without a passport.

Just because the government doesn't require common sense doesn't mean we shouldn't use some when traveling. Everyone traveling outside the US should absolutely have a passport, even if you're walking across the border.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Well, I wasn't expecting my common sense to be in question, however, I appreciate the advise from everyone.

I too have recently thought about what would happen during a medical emergecy. We are applying for passports but it just wasn't in time for this cruise.

Thank you Bob E for the smooth cruising wishes!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Diana91, I'll let Neil speak for himself but I don't think it was directed at you. Just a general statement. It is true that if you miss your ship, or get sick and require med-evac etc. you are in deep water without a passport.

Since you are nearly ready to pack, it is not likely that you will get one overnight. Hopefully all will go well and it won't be a problem.

Have a great cruise!

Ken
Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Sorry Diana91 if it came across wrong. I was indeed not directing the ststement at you and should have used more approprite dialog.

Some seem to resist getting a passport, I'm still not sure why. It's wise to have one for more reasons than I listed. I have a family member who still does not have on and she makes me a little nuts. She syas she can't afford the add'l expense of passports for her family of 4 on top of the cost of the cruise. Then tells me about the new dresses and shoes she just bought for her next cruise.

If you're not my cousin, I'm really sorry!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Diana,

I was in Nassau Nov 06 and in Apr 07. Nov 06 I needed my picture ID and birth certificate to get back into the dock area to board the ship. In Apr 07 the officer did not check my birth certificate to get back into the dock area, cbut he did check my picture ID. It my depend on the person working. I would carry my birth certificate on my excursions just in case. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM

A person should never carry an original document off the ship other than a driver's license. Leave the orginal in your cabin safe until you disembark. In Nassau they require a photo I.D. and your seapass. I've never had to show anything other than that in any of the Caribbean ports. I've had my passport for more that 6 years and find it makes traveling a whole lot easier. I only paid $40 for it then.

Sonny
Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 PM

TrlPro, no big deal. It is often hard to know someone's "tone" when it's written. I appreciate the advice. I had a passport but it expired a while ago. I also think passports are the way to go, just didn't get it in time for this one. Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 PM
$40 Bucks???:-)the price has gone up, ours were $130 and I'm sure they will go higher when the demand really starts...and yes, a passport is the way to go.

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
birth, board, boat, caribbean, carribean, cert, certicate, certificate, certificates, cruise, cruising, passport, passportscom, problem, review, royal, ship