Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM

How do you know if you pre-paid the tips or not? We booked through a travel agent. He has been in the business forever and was highly recommended. At the time I didn't even know about pre paying tips and he never said anything it, so I don't know if we did or not. Would our paper recipt say so if we did pay for the tips already?

Thanks,
Linda

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Your booking invoice should show if you prepaid tips. Pre-paying tips is not a usual thing, so I sort of doubt your agent would do it without specifically asking you. Why not just call him and ask?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 PM

I agree with Dave56 it is not normal for your tips to be pre-paid unless you ask your travel agent "or" you are going with a large group such as when the company that I work for took all of the Managers and Spouses on a cruise then the tips were pre-paid. But Carnival Cruises took them off the Sea pass card without even notifying us that they were doing it. I am an old school cruiser, I always tip on the last night. That way I can give more if they do a great job or a little less if they do poorly.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 10-11-2006, 06:27 PM

Carnival does post a notice about their gratuity policy in the document booklet you receive. Many people just don't take the time to read their booklets.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM

I agree with the other writers. I go through a travel agent, and we pay our tips ourselves. I would like to make a suggestion. Most of the time the ships add the tipping on to your bill. If you go to the Purser's desk a few days before the last day, and ask for envelops, they will give them to you. This way, if you want to give one person more, than someone else you can. That is what we did on our last night of the cruise.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 AM

I would hope that tips for the staff being added automatically goes the way of the dinosaur!! Where is the incentive for the staff to do great work? We have never had a bad cruise, but with only 3 under our belts and the fourth next year, we are no experts. We always tip at least the recommended amounts but I would like the opportunity to reflect on exceptional service with higher amounts.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 11-10-2006, 06:20 AM

Pre-paying is an option. Envelopes are delivered to your cabin on the last day. If you do pre-pay you will receive a voucher for the recommend amount for your cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, and your headwaiter. Your travel agent can arrange for pre-payment at the time of your final payment or you can go the the purser's desk and request vouchers to be put on your seapass card. It's just a convenient way to do it. You can add more then the recommented tip to the envelope if you want to. The important thing is to tip them.

Sonny
Old 11-10-2006, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the info Sonny. I suspect one reason for the pre-pay thing is because some may feel like they have already paid enough for the cruise. There are some in every crowd that will never tip. Personally, they could just chuck them overboard at the end!! I have always got such good service that tipping was never an issue, more like, how much above that should we tip!!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM

I don't know what ships Sonny has been on, but he said the last day/night the tipping envelopes are delivered to your room. On 6 cruises, I did not find this. So for us, it was either added to the bill, or we went earlier in the week to get envelopes from the Prusers desk, to put in the tip we wanted to give, and to whom.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:01 PM

brneyes, I've been on a lot of Royal Caribbean cruises (31) and the cabin steward alway leaves the envelopes in our cabin. To make sure, just ask your cabin steward to leave them for you. If I pre-pay, the vouchers are with the envelopes, not in them. Were any of your 6 cruises on Royal Caribbean?

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, caribbean, carnival, cruise, freedom, gratuities, make, paid, pre, prepaid, prepay, royal, seas, stewards, tip, tips, work