Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 02:46 PM

I just got back from a wonderful first time cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. We had a great time. One of the ports of calls was Conzumel and I cant believe they actually went there. Its basically a ruin. Its literally a ruin everywhere. Theres nothing. Basically shop. And they are so expensive! Its sad and I feel sorry for their loss but, cruise lines should not go there yet. What they did is clean up. But there is literally nothing, everything is destroyed. Stores are open, and excursions are open (some I guess) But, the minute you step the island or even as you are approaching, its really a ruin.
We rented a car and saw all the destruction and went back to the ship after 2 hours.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 PM

I am so sorry you had such a negative experience. That is not at all how others visiting the island Post-Wilma perceived the situation. It takes a long time for any island to recover fully from the devastation that Cozumel experienced. I have visited Grand Cayman 3 times since they suffered a direct hit and there are places on the island that may never return to their pre-hurricane beauty.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-21-2005, 03:01 PM

no way. We rented a car, through ALAMO and went around the island through where was permitted and all you see is hotels completely destroyed, lots of buildings destroyed. No greenery, nothing. Our ship to make matters worse arrived at the port far from the shops. Princess and NCl arrived at the port right in front of the "center" and I guess their first impression was not as bad as ours. But besides that "center" there is nothing. Its really bad.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:33 PM

How was the ship in general. What were some of the highlights on the Jewel? Did they have a wine plan that you could purchase for dinner?How were the other ports?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 PM

THIS WAS MY FIRST CRUISE AND I READ LOTS OF REVIEWS BEFORE GOING. MY IMPRESSION WAS THAT THE SHIP WAS BEUTIFUL, THE SERVICE WAS GREAT. ALL THE FACILITIES WERE AMAZING. WE WERE SO PLEASED THAT NOW WE WANT TO GO ON THE VOYAGER CLASS VERY SOON. RIGHT BEFORE WE LEFT I READ A REVIEW THAT SAID THAT THE POOL AREA WAS SMALL, THAT IT WAS IMPOSIBLE TO GET CHAIRS. WE SPENT A LOT OF TIME AROUND THE POOL AREA OR SOLARIUM. YOU ARE ABLE TO MOVE THE CHAIRS AROUND WHEREVER YOU WANT. AND WE HAD NO PROBLEM FINDING CHAIRS OR ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL. THE SOLARIUM IS A VERY TRANQUIL SPOT AND VERY PLEASANT. WE BOUGHT OUR TICKETS AMAZINGLY 3 WEEKS BEFORE DEPARTING. THERE WASNT MUCH AVAILABLE SO WE TOOK AN INTERIOR ROOM ON DECK 8. I WAS REALLY CONCERN WITH THIS. IT TURNED OUT FINE. THE ROOM ATTENDANTS MADE OUR ROOM DAILY SO COMFORTABLE THAT WE ENJOYED IT AND HONESTLY WE FELT GREAT.
WE DID NOT BUY THE SODA PACKAGES AS WE ARE NOT SODA LOVERS. AND I FOUND IT RIDICULOUS. WE BOUGHT SODA IF WE WANTED IT AND IT COST 1.50. WE BOUGHT LOTS OF DRINKS AND THEY WERE CHEAP.
I AM A BEACH, SCENIC LOVER AND I WAS EXPECTING THE PORTS TO BE MORE EXCITING. THE PORTS WERE OK ONLY. COSTA MAYA IS BORING. WE WENT TO MAHUHAL AND ITS A SMALL VILLAGE, WE RENTED A GOLF CART TO GET THERE. BASICALLY THERES LOTS OF VENDORS AND THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. I FOUND THAT RIDICULOUS. AND GRAND CAYMAN WE WANTED TO GO TO THE 7 MILE BEACH BUT THAT DAY IT WAS RAINING AND WE TRIED TO WALK AROUND AND AT LEAST GET TO KNOW THE PLACE BUT IT WAS REALLY IMPOSSIBLE. WE WANTED TO RENT A CAR BUT YOU HAD TO GO TO THE AIRPORT TO GET IT AND ITS NOT NEARBY. ITS VERY CONFUSING. IN GRAND CAYMAN YOU REALLY NEED A TOUR. BUT WE DID NOT DO IT DUE TO THE WEATHER, (WASTE OF MONEY)ALSO THE SHIP TENDERED AND TOOK FOREVER TO TAKE US INLAND. I HAD READ THIS TOO IN EARLIER REVIEWS. FOR SOME REASON IN GRAND CAYMAN THE TENDERING TAKES FOREVER AND A LOT OF TIME IS WASTED. OVERALL IT WAS GOOD TO VISIT NEW PLACES AND ANYWAYS WE WERE HAVING A GREAT TIME IN THE SHIP ALREADY.
I HEARD GREAT THINGS ABOUT SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN SO THATS WHERE WE ARE GOING SOON ON THE VOYAGER CLASS.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 PM

sorry for the caps. did not noticed till I sent the message. ouch

CruiseReviews.com cruise-chat.com cruise-chat.com Royal Caribbean International CONZUMEL- JUST GOT BACK Jewel of the Seas

Contact Us | CruiseReviews.com | Terms of Service
All information contained in Cruise-Chat.com is the copyright of Tom Ogg & Associates and may not be duplicated without the written permission of Tom Ogg & Associates[/quote]
Old 11-23-2005, 04:51 PM

It is sad to hear that all of these beautiful islands lie in ruins as we speak. As we approach Thanksgiving, we should all be grateful that most Americans live in better situations. My prayers go out to our fellow southerners as well as our island friends and hope that the new year will find them in a better place. On a lighter note, I read recently that these ships would not be stopping at Cozumel and possibly Belize and the Grand Caymans. From what I heard, these ports would not be open til next spring.
Chris
Old 11-25-2005, 08:21 AM

As one who has been through many hurricanes while living in South Louisiana over the years it's no surprise that Cozumel hasn't been restored to perfection in 30 days. And that is NOT what they promised. Anyone who has the opportunity to visit Cozumel within the next couple of months should EXPECT the island to still carry the bruises that come from a direct hit from a massive hurricane. So, with respect to CC1 (the originator of this thread), Cozumel might seem more shocking if one is comparing it to pre-Wilma days. We should expect the island to have a lot of scares, but they will no doubt be temporary. And our presence (with generous attitudes and generous pocket books) will be a big part of that islands "healing."

According to TOM, many of the wonderful aspects to the island are being restored much more quickly than one would expect. Our family, at this point, will be heading to Paradise Beach and we will love being there and giving the local economy a little boost.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 AM

scars NOT scares (sorry)
Old 11-25-2005, 08:58 PM

WHEN I WAS HEADING FOR MY CRUISE I WANTED TO BE AWARE OF WHAT WAS REALLY GOING SO I WOULD NOT HAVE ANY SURPRISES. WHAT I WROTE ITS REAL. AND I DID NOT WRITE IT TO OFFEND ANYONE. ITS REALITY. I WOULD LIKE TO READ YOUR REVIEWS IF YOU ARE HEADING THERE IN THESE FOLLOWING WEEKS AS YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE WHAT WE DID. I HAVE EXPERIENCED AFTERMATH OF HURRICANES BEFORE AS I LIVED MANY YEARS IN PR. I KNOW HOW IT IS. IVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS EVER AND WHAT I WAS SURPRISED MOSTLY WAS HOW THE CRUISE JUST LANDED THERE AND BASICALLY: SEE YA! GOOD LUCK! PLEASE.. WE DID NOT LAND IN THE PORT IN FRONT OF THE SHOPS, WE WERE ABOUT A MILE SOUTH. CELEBRITY AND I THINK CARNIVAL ARRIVED AT THIS VERY CONVENIENT OTHER PORT. AS YOU ENTER A LOT OF RENTAL CAR COMPANIES OFFER YOU THEIR CARS. WE TOOK ALAMO AND THEY GAVE US A MAP AND.... GOOD LUCK.. THEY DID TELL US AND MARKED IN THE MAP WHERE THE NICE BEACHES WERE. AS WE DROVED WE WERE DAZED. WE DID GO SHOPPING AND WE DID BUY A LOT OF STUFF. THEY WERE EXPENSIVE. I DID FOUND CHEAPER SAME ITEMS IN THE PORT ENTRANCE.

Closed Thread

Tags
caymens, conzumel, cozumel, cruise, deep, fishing, grand, map, norwegian, ports, sea