Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 AM

I am not sure if this has been mentioned on the boards at all...if so, my apologies.

Adventure is headed for dry-dock in April. A brief 2 weeker to work underneath mostly and replace some carpets per the crew I spoke with.

The interesting tidbit one asst. waiter told us on the last day is that once it leaves dry-dock, it is repositioning to South Africa to serve only in port (no cruises). The World Cup is in South Africa and they are basically using AoS as a hotel.

Thought I'd pass this on since I don't think it is advertised as of yet.

Lyle
Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Were you just on this ship? We sail in March and as experienced cruisers try to average all our good and bad experiences (overall cruising is great or we wouldn't keep doing it). However we have a new and skeptical cruiser going along. Will AOS disappoint? I ask because we were on one of the final sailings of the Nordic Prince before she was sold to a Mexican line (we were told this was where she was going) and things were so shabby and loosely run--I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been on the AOS lately.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM

AOS will not dissapoint. My review on another site has not yet posted - but when it does, I will paste it into this thread so you can watch for it. We are not as seasoned as others - this being our second cruise but I think our observations are pretty accurate.

In a nutshell, I think AOS is beautiful - well maintained. The downside of this ship (and possibly other RCCL) is the food. The Windjammer was the same boring gruel everyday....and when I say gruel, I mean flavorless. The dining room was good and Portofino better. The difference is that the quality we had in Portofino was much closer to the quality in the main dining room on our previous cruising experience which was on Carnival Triumph.

If I could put Carnival's food on AoS, it would be the ultimate cruise!

The best part and the allure for us to do AoS is the itinerary. Aruba is fabulous. Curacao is beautiful. These are "off the beaten path" as proven by the 3 ships in port the day we hit St. Maarten.

As soon as I can get to my review, I'll add it here.

Lyle
Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Lyle,

Why not post your review at our newly revised Cruise Reviews area?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 AM

What is the date AOS is heading into dry dock?
We are booked the latter part of April....Does this impact service, etc if we are the last sailing prior to dry dock? Thanks for the info.

Peter1

Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM

I agree about the AOS - I sailed on her a few months ago. We loved the ship, especially all the sports and the Solarium. You won't be disappointed.

Though I wouldn't call the food gruel, I was less than impressed with the buffet. This may be more of an RCCL thing than an AOS thing. They choices didn't seem to change too much, and none of it was outstanding - though not bad, either. Food in the dining room was good (a few things were great), and Portofino's was very good. I also agree that Carnival had better food.

Bottom line - you will always find something you like to eat, and you will not starve. The ship is great, and you will have an awesome time.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 PM

Good to know, got a little scared. We cruised in January of 1994 on a ship that was leaving the fleet in April. There was something needing repair everywhere. There was a roll of used carpeting laying the hallway through most of the trip. The stacks belched soot all over the basketball court and there was a disconcerting vibration to the entire ship, and a really funky smell. Several people in our group of about 65 changed rooms for a variety of reasons. This would not impress our future son-in-law who I am sure would wonder why we are all fired up about cruises.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 PM

We are suppose to sail on AOS on April 19,when is it going into dry dock ?
Thanks
Mike
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM

Mike, I was wondering the same thing on the dry dock; how does one go about finding out the date?

Peter1

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM

I would also like to know as we are sailing on this ship April 12.

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, adventurer, africa, cruise, cruises, dock, dry, drydock, forums, reposition, reviews, schedule, seas, teh, vibration