Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Freedom Of The Seas cruise delayed because of virus (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/22375-freedom-seas-cruise-delayed-because-virus.html)

Dave 12-11-2006 06:20 AM

RCCL has delayed the December 10 sailing of Freedom Of The Seas. The ship was supposed to leave yesterday for a 7-day cruise, but will now leave Tuesday on a modified 5-day itinerary. Apparently the virus that hit the previous cruise was still lingering and CDC recommended the delay to allow for more intrusive cleaning. Read about it, and the quite reasonable compensation being offered here.

Spiritfilled 12-11-2006 08:25 AM

I would think with a ship that size that they would take a little extra time to clean and sanitize anyway. All in all I guess with a ship that size more people more germs. I would rather them clean and disinfect for a couple more hours than to get onboard and get ill. So I feel RCCL needs to extend cleaning time maybe that will cut down on the illness .....who knows.

electech 12-11-2006 09:04 AM

I hate that happened but it does sound as if RCCL is giving a reasonable compensation back.

seatosee 12-11-2006 10:00 AM

Myself I think for a ship that size or even
smaller . I'm sure they do their best at trying
to keep them clean. It's those dirty people and
there are dirty people out there that don't care
about you or I or a ship full of thousands of
people. I will give the ones credit, that don't
know they are sick .But to all other dirty people out there . SMARTEN UP . Even if you don't want to lose your cruise , (which is understandable) Wash , Wash , Wash ,and carry a
cloth for your mouth .And you know who you are.
RCCL go a long way to keep everyone happy and
safe. Maybe if everyone else would do their part
(and most do) they wouldn't have to go though all this. By the way I think that was more than
enough comp.,RCC gave. Maybe if RCC is willing
to give that much in comps. they should come up
with some kind of refund for people that can prove by a doctor that they are sick . so they
don't feel they have to go on their trip or lose
it. In the long run, RCCL might save money in
comps. for the sake of keeping that one sick
person off our ships. On that note . To all you
people out there who think " Oh you will never
get on another RCCL ship because of these out
breaks . I have news for you . If that other cruise line hasn't had it happen to them. It will and maybe at a bigger scale. And another thing , They are probably not half as clean as RCCL or as kind to pay you back for any misshalf. That's what I think .
Thank's DAVE you always take us that next step
further to look at or read about. good insite.
If you need further info on something just ask
DAVE.

Dave 12-11-2006 10:57 AM

seatosee,

Thank you for your kind remarks. I am a member of the team here, and we all try our best to give honest and fair info. Sometimes it isn't pleasant news, as in this case. Personally, if I were on this cruise I'd still go for the 5-day and while on board probably book my next one using that 50% discount!

mooneydiva 12-11-2006 04:21 PM

Hmmm. . . .I think that RCCL's compensation is phenomenal. I would never have guessed that they would have done even 1/2 of what they did. I love this cruise line.

Seatosee's correct about sanitary habits of people. It amazes me how people don't wash their hands, sneeze/cough without covering their mouths, etc. Good grief!

A question. . . .In the past 14-18 months, I've read of the norovirus hitting cruise ships a number of times. And, I bet that 80-90% of the time, it's been an RCCL ship. Just out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed this?

Chris
Now looking at RCCL Alaska and Western Mediterranean for next fall. . . . .

LisaP 12-11-2006 07:19 PM

I agree with previous posters that RCI is offering a nice compensation package. What impresses me is that they are going beyond just the $ by finding and securing hotel rooms for pax.

Don't get me started on other peoples' unsanitary habits. It's one of the reasons I seldom use buffets anywhere - not just on ships. When I do, I use a cloth napkin as a shield between my hand and the serving utensil. I get a lot of strange looks, but I don't care in the least.

Dave 12-11-2006 07:37 PM

Lisa, you bring up a good point. I wonder if a study has ever been done to compare the rates of norovirus on ships with the increased use of buffet dining options on ships? I'd wager that a larger number of the afflicted ate more meals in the buffet as compared to those who didn't get sick, and ate more of their meals in the dining room.

seatosee 12-11-2006 08:36 PM

LisaP Hi
I think what you said about the napkin is
fantastic. People can look at me as strange
as they want , but you can bet I will be using
a napkin also when I go on the Explorer in
Jan. And maybe this is going over the top
a bit but what's with people wanting to shake hands when they meet . I know it's a nice way to first meet someone but these days because of sickness. you don't know where they been.
unless you just do it to be nice and then remeber to wash . I never thought I would be
snotty in that way but you really have to be
careful. Even a sore throut or a common cold
is nasty.

cruisemen007 12-14-2006 06:55 AM

Watch this - Statement of the CLIA about the Norovirus:
http://www.modernagent.com/Resources...l.aspx?n=19831

Keep on cruisin'
Cruisemen007