Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi Guys, Im booked on Oasis for January next year however we now have to change this until later in the year, and because my boyfriend is the one that wants to change, Im thinking for the 'inconvenience' we might book a balcony room next time.. However I have a few questions, we've always stayed interior cabin and loved the quietness and the really dark room. However my worst nightmare is that I would be on the 'wrong' side of the ship with the balcony if there is such a thing, or that there may be a smoker in the next balcony, (smokers of course are entitled to smoke on their balcony) its just that Im so anti the smell of smoke Im wondering if its worth it!!! Id love to wake up to that fantastic view though, also are the balconys always in the shade or does the sun get to hit one side or the other! any info greatly appreciated x
Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Nobody has cruised on the Oasis yet, so nobody can comment on the balconies and their plusses or minuses. Generally speaking, no external balcony is always shaded since it depends on the ship's position relative to the sun. It simply cannot be answered with any certainty.

Look at one of the inside balcony cabins on the Oasis.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:51 PM

My experiences with balconies is more sun than shade. When you draw the drapes in a balcony cabin you can make it pretty dark.

Sonny

Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 AM

Another thing to consider (I try to) is what side of the ship to be one to take advantage of best port views and all that. More things to think about !

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 AM
For me once I booked a Balcony there was no going back. It is wonderful to sit out early in your PJ's and have breakfast or coffee, or watch the sunset with a cocktail. I have never been on the wrong side of the ship, I find some ports we are on on a better side and some not but the view is all fine, coming into port is wonderful. This last time once we were facing another ship in port but had fun just people watching. I say GOOOOO for it, but that is my opinion.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 AM

Sorry, but after all these cruises and balconies, I don't get having to be on one side of the ship or the other. Not seeing the port is ok, and seeing everyone leave and come back is good, too. I am so blessed to have a balcony, I have never had one I didn't like.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

What many people fail to realize is that ships often rotate the side facing the pier at X port. This is so they can do painting and hull maintenance on the outboard side, and also on the lifeboats on that side.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree that a balcony cabin is the way to go, at least in my opinion. You can easily make this a one shot deal if you really don't like it and get an inside cabin on your next fun cruise. The only drawback to a balcony cabin is if you are a late sleeper-drapes or not, SOME light gets in the cabin in the morning. Since we get up around 6am normally, to us, it's no biggie-have a great time

Need some cruise help?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 AM

There really is no good/bad side on a ship. As Dave said, sometimes they rotate docking for painting, sometimes they rotate because of availability, sometimes because of maintenance to the docking facility, etc. Arrivals and sailaways are fantastic from your own balcony. Enjoying sunrise/sunset is fantastic from your own balcony. Just be warned, you probably won't want to go back to an inside. It's REALLY hard for me to do now. However, if it's a choice between cruising with an inside or not cruising. I'll be on the inside every time
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 AM

We've always had a balcony and for some reason (the majority of the times) have been lucky enough to be on the side that looks into port which we find interesting for us to see when we are in port and then when pulling away.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
afraid, balcony, book, cabin, inside, interior, oasis, reviews, rooms, smoker