Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 09:20 PM

Just got back from a cruise and had one rough day at sea. I had the patch with me (the one that goes behind your ear), but didn't use it as the feeling passed within an hour or so. However, the rest of the time I did not feel sick as bad, but definately felt a teeny bit queasy.

My question is this...how many of you are actually using this patch (I think it's called transderm scopola--- patch) while still enjoying a few cocktails each day? Must be alot of you because MANY People are wearing these patches. I am worried because my doctor advised me NO DRINKING while using them and she also mentioned an odd thing that would happen with my eyes (ie. pupils dialated, hard to read, etc.). ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY ADVICE?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:40 AM
Administrator

I've never used the patch, so this doesn't really answer your question, but I can offer an alternative. I've found that green apples work very well. Like you, I have cruised many times and am not very prone to seasickness -- although I have had my moments. A simple green apple was all it took. No side effects, no cost, readily available -- and I could drink whatever I wanted as soon as the feeling passed.

Just a thought.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:31 AM

Queen, the transderm scopolamine patches definitely have their side effects, the main ones being blurred vision and dry mouth. They take a day or two to really work, so it's not an immediate remedy if you start feeling queasy.

I used one, once, and didn't like the side effects. I was told that the next time, I can cut the patch in half and see if that works better for me, but I've never used it again.

There are other remedies that people say will work, have no side effects, and work fast, including ginger tablets, and as Lisa said, green apples. Some folks use Dramamine or Bonine, but find it puts them to sleep. The "non-drowsy" formula is just a lower dose.

Sandy
Old 07-14-2006, 07:46 AM

CruiseQueen2,
I have used the patch, April of 2005 on Rhapsody of the Seas to be exact; and i definitely had the side effects. I had the blurred vision, slight headaches, dry mouth and felt like i was on Tylenol PM all the time. The blurred vision was enough to make me never use them again. When going in November with mom on a cruise this year, I will forgo the patches and try something else.

Hope that helps,

Rhonda
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM

Lisa P--

Thanks for that info. I'd MUCH rather try that! Do you mean the regular Granny Smith apples? Did they have them on board?, I didn't notice!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Saw a TV show recently on motion sickness. The one solution that was head and sholders above the rest was ginsing. Can you believe it? No side effects and natural. Try the apple but keep the ginsing in case.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 PM

What works for some won't work for others. My wife wears the patch starting a day before our cruises, changes it every 3 days, and finally takes it off when we get home. She has NO side effects. For those that have tried everything except the patch, and still get sea sick, then maybe it's time to try the patch. If an apple, ginsing, wristband, or what ever works, than that is great. Remember, once you become nauseated, nothing will work well. The best thing is to only sail on calm seas.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM

Push come to shove, you can get free generic seasickness pills at the Purser's Desk. I think it is Bonnine.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast Repo - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old 07-22-2006, 10:13 PM

Hey Guys,
My husband and I can just "look" at water and get sick but we don't anymore because we bought those Relief Band Watches. They're pricy but worth it. They're about $115.00 and you can regulate the frequency of these little pulses that block the signal from your brain to your stomach when you feel nautious. Here are two little stories. Once we were at home and my daughter was walking to the bathroom to throw up from just feeling sick. I put the watch on her and she felt completely fine. Then my husband was in the hospital for shoulder surgery and he wore TWO watches all during anesthesia and the surgery, and came out of it and never felt sick one bit. Then on one cruise, a gal at our table at dinner was feeling sick so I gave her my watch to wear, then she was fine. If you even cruise just once, I'd advise getting the watch. You can use them for any kind of motion sickness.
Susan
Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM

Ive tried all of them ,sometimes they work sometimes they dont.Ive been an off shore fisherwoman for years..Im going on 1st cruise on september 4th ,on the soveriegn...Wish me luck.Wish there was a cure...didikay

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruising, effects, frequency, motion, patch, people, prone, scolopine, sea, ship, sickness, side