Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 AM

We just got back from our 7 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Carival Glory. Although we had a great time, I am even more of a Royal Caribbean fan now than I was before we left on this cruise. I just feel like RCCL does it the best. The Glory was very hard to find your way around on, even at the end of the week. Our head waitress was not that friendly and would jokingly (some seriousness) get upset if you would make a special request. My daughter asked for a second bowl of soup one night and the waitress said that she would check to see if any was left. We watched her, after about 20 minutes she went to the back and came out and said there was none left. Our assistant waitress was great. Very friendly and had a constant smile. The food was always served warm, never hot. The food was good, not great. The chocolate cake was out of this world!!!!! The pizza was much better than RCCL and having 24 hour french fries was very nice too. The pools are all very small but the water slide was fun for the kids. The shows were good but the theater was set up very poorly. A good portion of the seats were partial view seats and if you sat on the side you could not see behind the curtain. We always felt rushed at dinner because it was so hard to find a seat for the shows because they had bingo going on all the way up to showtime. The cruise director was not that entertaining but a friendly enough guy. We had a balcony room for the first time and absolutely loved that. Will be hard to sail without it now. We had 2 rooms on 2 separate levels. One room stuard was excellent and the other not so good. Overall we had a lot of fun but found that there was much more downtime on this ship than on RCCL Navagotor of the Seas. For the money, it was a good value but like I said before, we will probably be sticking to RCCL in the future, unless we find a deal we just can't pass up.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks for sharing. We alsmost snuck over to Celebrity to sail on Solstice next January but chose to go with Independence. I know the other lines are good but we have never been disappointed in RCCL. We will someday but right now RCCL fits us.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 03-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Been on 7 cruises,2 on RCCI and 5 on Carnival. Best cruise was a 15 nt on RCCI Serenade of the Sea's to Hawaii.Service,food and ect. above average,great cruise.Going on it again to Alaska in May. Worst cruise,bad food,bad service,got sick with a stomach virus,was on RCCI Splendor of the Sea's. All 5 cruises on Carnival was good with no complaints.To me it proves,sooner or later, no matter what line your going on,your going to get one not so good.
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 AM

Don't rule out a cruise line because of a single negative experience. Having sailed on many different ship lines, I can relate good and bad experiences on just about all of them. I mostly cruise on RCCL but I don't have a problem venturing out to see what the others have to offer. I will be on the Holiday in a few weeks and I have had less than perfect cruises on her but I still look forward to going like it's my first cruise. It's ok to be loyal to a company but don't shut out possibilities.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 AM

Welcome back and glad to hear your cruise was good. Can't wait to see what you select for your next one!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:51 PM

OK GUYS! this is probably a stupid question but here it goes. A friend of mine just went on a rccl cruise out of Galveston and I asked her how it was. She said the ship was just beautiful, the food greatand the people were nice. Then she said the people, although nice, were kind of a upity bunch. She has been on alot of cruises and her favorite ones are carnival because the people are more laid back and wanting to have fun and party. She thinks Rccl cruises are just a little stuffier than carnival. Do not get me wrong she would go on rccl anytime. My question is, Is this true? I have people going on rccl freedom next year and they love to talk to everybody. By the end of the cruise everybody knows their name. So being first time with rccl I would hope they will say they loved the cruise as much as carnival conguest last year.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

It is probably just perceptions, and perhaps the crowd on her cruise in particular.

Personally I have never encountered stuffiness on RCI. Indeed, over the past few years I have found our RCI cruises to be more lively than our Carnival cruises when it comes to partying.

Like I said - perceptions.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM

THANKS DAVE!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:52 PM

What your friend percieves from her RCCL cruise, may not be what you would have if it were you on the same cruise. Like Dave said—It's her perception—and that's all it is. Every week brings a different crowd.

Sonny
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Just got back from the Liberty and had no trouble at all engaging people in conversation, or having a fun time with these strangers. Made friends from Argentina the first day at lunch and saw them over and over throught the week, same with the people with sat with at the quest. Staff was friendly as well and we learned about their homes, etc. I am not sure it could have been any less stuffy. Only "social problem" were with a few large groups from South America (sorry--not trying to group people, but . . . ) who did not understand any of the "rules", like when you join a line you should take the next place at the BACK of the line, or if you have to be 18 to be in a bar, you should probably be 18, or that no-one really appreciates great roving bands of unsupervised kids, especially people who left their kids at home, and if you touch food at a buffet line you should probably put in on your own plate (did they really think there were different rolls underneath?).
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
conguest, glory, ship