Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Port of Charleston (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/22776-port-charleston.html)

mariaw 10-02-2002 08:22 AM

My husband and I are booked on the Galaxy's 1/3/03 cruise. We'll be flying down early and spending a few days in Charleston before.

I have 2 questions. How does the Port of Charleston compare to NY for departures? Second question relates to the Galaxy itself. Are there laundry facilities (self-service) on the ship? This is a 10 day cruise, and with luggage restrictions, it would be nice to ba able to pack for just 6 or 7 and recycle. Thanks for any help.

mariaw 10-02-2002 08:22 AM

My husband and I are booked on the Galaxy's 1/3/03 cruise. We'll be flying down early and spending a few days in Charleston before.

I have 2 questions. How does the Port of Charleston compare to NY for departures? Second question relates to the Galaxy itself. Are there laundry facilities (self-service) on the ship? This is a 10 day cruise, and with luggage restrictions, it would be nice to ba able to pack for just 6 or 7 and recycle. Thanks for any help.

Sue 10-02-2002 10:01 AM

Can't help you about Charleston, but can tell you that NO Celebrity or RCL ship has laundry facilities. We recently returned from a 14 day ccruise on the new Celebrity Constellation in the Baltic's, with another day coming and going. We also had to figure for temperature variations which didn't turn out to be a factor. I can tell you this with packing, as we just went out and bought several additional sets of underwear. WATCH OUT for the weight of your bags, 70 pounds max. 1 was over by 3 pounds, and one was almost 20 pounds under. They would not let us average, and we had to change things over on the floor at the counter. Size is VERY important. A large suitcase on wheels will be OK for size LxWxH. If you open up the expansion, it will not meet the new requirements, and you'll be charged serious money. 2 garment bags and 2 suitcases should be more than sufficient for you, then have fun washing when you get home. Happy sailing! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

RIDGID 10-04-2002 07:57 AM

We were on a 14 day cruise. Thought that we would use the laundry. The laundry room closed at night. The dryers did not keep up with the washers. We waited in line 6 hours to do our laundry. My wife and I took turns. Everyone was sittng in the hall way reading. There were 2 washers and 2 dryers in each of the 2 laundry rooms. Everyone had their washing done but the hang up was the drying. I don't know if this is a problem on other ships and may not be on shorter cruises. So be prepared. We never planned on laundry again.

Sue 10-04-2002 03:14 PM

You didn't wait to do laundry on an RCL or Celebrity, as there is no laundry. We have done a 17 day on Carnival Sprit. Arriving at 6:30 Am, got back to room at 2:30. On 12 day Ocean Princess, took about 3 hours to do 3 loads. Takes me that at home. 4 dryers and 3 washers in each location, so worked out pretty well. Just don't count on laundry on RCL. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

elizabeth adams 11-08-2002 10:36 AM

ther are laundry facilities on board but there are not self service and there is a charge for it.as far as luggage i don't know what the airport restrictions are but for the cruise lines its uo to 200 lbs per person.

Sue 11-08-2002 10:54 AM

If you're flying, PLEASE don't go by the previous post. What a cruise line allows in very different from what airlines allow. 70 pounds max per bag, 2 check in bags, with no more than 60 (some go 62-65 inches). This includes height, width, and depth. If you're over by 1/2 inch, you'll pay dearly, as well as overweight. You had questioned self-service laundry on your original question, and the same holds true, not available on RCL or Celebrity. Yes, you can send laundry out, but $1 or $2 for underwear, and $.75 for socks is a little much. Also, I prefer to do my own laundry. Who knows how these clothes would be washed. Let me know if this answers your original questions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]