Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Curious Words From RCI's CEO (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/2286-curious-words-rcis-ceo.html)

Dave 04-29-2010 01:43 PM

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Adam Goldstein told the following to financial analysts this past Wednesday, regarding the impressive level of onboard spending being done on the Oasis Of The Seas:

"Clearly, there's a lot of learning from Oasis with respect to both guest features and on-board spend potential, which we are evaluating with respect to how we might contribute those features or opportunities elsewhere in the fleet."

Spending aboard the Oasis has far exceeded the company's expectations, with Oasis being the #1 ship in per capita spending in the RCI fleet of 21 ships.

So, does this portend more revenue centers appearing on the other RCI ships?

INFLUENCE202 04-29-2010 03:18 PM

Wow I mean I love the oasis n so wish I could cruise on it one day BUT .. I said from when I 1st saw the finish product 'THEY SPENT SOME MONEY!!". I mean I like the idea but thats a bit much

Cruise Fanatic 04-29-2010 06:38 PM

It's an odd statement considering the Oasis is twice the spending venues and twice the people.

Dwayne 04-29-2010 09:19 PM

If it is their idea to add more revenue centers on the ships I really can't blame them. Personally though I doubt I'd like cruising on a ship with a mall and an extra charge food court if that is the vision. Some people probably do though. Then again, CEO's are notorious for making odd statements to financial analysts.

Dwayne

Dwayne 04-29-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Wow I mean I love the oasis n so wish I could cruise on it one day BUT .. I said from when I 1st saw the finish product 'THEY SPENT SOME MONEY!!". I mean I like the idea but thats a bit much
Yes it was a bit much. Actually they didn't spend the money, they financed it. The financing for the project came close to falling apart during construction until they secured it at the last minute.

Dwayne

Casey & Kathy 04-30-2010 07:32 AM

I think this type of ship will attract many new cruisers and those are the ones that spend the MONEY. Most newbees spend lots on board and thats who this ship was designed for. RCL stock has gone from 7 to 37 dollars a share this year at a time when others have remained flat and although I have not sailed her yet it is due to the intinery and not the ship.

Dave 04-30-2010 09:06 AM

I was extremely pleased with the Oasis. It is possible to spend a week on the ship and not break your bank. Plenty of included dining choices and activities. I did spend $10 to have lunch at Giovanni's Table, and was a guest of Paul Motter at 150 Central Park, but otherwise my account only had bar purchases and logo souvenirs from the gift shop.

penny3333 05-03-2010 08:40 AM

I just wonder if they're comparing apples to apples. The ship holds more passengers than any other ship in the ocean. Was he talking about all the additional dining options, shops? Is this, "if you build it, they will come" type of a statement? If they add more pay for dining options on their other ships or more shops, they'll make more money? I'd really be interested to see the data he was gleening from.

Dave 05-03-2010 08:54 AM

My understanding of his comment is "Dave spent X dollars on the 7 night Rhapsody Of The Seas cruise, but he spent XX dollars on the 7 night Oasis cruise, because Rhapsody has 10 revenue centers and Oasis has 40."

Berick1234 05-04-2010 07:18 AM

The Oasis was Wonderful...and does the word "Coach" meaning anything....Oh, I see that little "Coach" purchase sitting near my computer...I told my wife to spend some money while we were on the Oasis...AND SHE DID....
Now she wants to go on the Allure and spend more....In my opinion, RCL did it right this time....Happy Sailing to us all..

Bob E