Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Adam Goldstein told the following to financial analysts this past Wednesday, regarding the impressive level of onboard spending being done on the Oasis Of The Seas:

"Clearly, there's a lot of learning from Oasis with respect to both guest features and on-board spend potential, which we are evaluating with respect to how we might contribute those features or opportunities elsewhere in the fleet."

Spending aboard the Oasis has far exceeded the company's expectations, with Oasis being the #1 ship in per capita spending in the RCI fleet of 21 ships.

So, does this portend more revenue centers appearing on the other RCI ships?

Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Wow I mean I love the oasis n so wish I could cruise on it one day BUT .. I said from when I 1st saw the finish product 'THEY SPENT SOME MONEY!!". I mean I like the idea but thats a bit much
Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 PM

It's an odd statement considering the Oasis is twice the spending venues and twice the people.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 PM

If it is their idea to add more revenue centers on the ships I really can't blame them. Personally though I doubt I'd like cruising on a ship with a mall and an extra charge food court if that is the vision. Some people probably do though. Then again, CEO's are notorious for making odd statements to financial analysts.

Dwayne
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Wow I mean I love the oasis n so wish I could cruise on it one day BUT .. I said from when I 1st saw the finish product 'THEY SPENT SOME MONEY!!". I mean I like the idea but thats a bit much
Yes it was a bit much. Actually they didn't spend the money, they financed it. The financing for the project came close to falling apart during construction until they secured it at the last minute.

Dwayne
Old 04-30-2010, 07:32 AM

I think this type of ship will attract many new cruisers and those are the ones that spend the MONEY. Most newbees spend lots on board and thats who this ship was designed for. RCL stock has gone from 7 to 37 dollars a share this year at a time when others have remained flat and although I have not sailed her yet it is due to the intinery and not the ship.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Administrator

I was extremely pleased with the Oasis. It is possible to spend a week on the ship and not break your bank. Plenty of included dining choices and activities. I did spend $10 to have lunch at Giovanni's Table, and was a guest of Paul Motter at 150 Central Park, but otherwise my account only had bar purchases and logo souvenirs from the gift shop.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 AM

I just wonder if they're comparing apples to apples. The ship holds more passengers than any other ship in the ocean. Was he talking about all the additional dining options, shops? Is this, "if you build it, they will come" type of a statement? If they add more pay for dining options on their other ships or more shops, they'll make more money? I'd really be interested to see the data he was gleening from.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator

My understanding of his comment is "Dave spent X dollars on the 7 night Rhapsody Of The Seas cruise, but he spent XX dollars on the 7 night Oasis cruise, because Rhapsody has 10 revenue centers and Oasis has 40."

Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
The Oasis was Wonderful...and does the word "Coach" meaning anything....Oh, I see that little "Coach" purchase sitting near my computer...I told my wife to spend some money while we were on the Oasis...AND SHE DID....
Now she wants to go on the Allure and spend more....In my opinion, RCL did it right this time....Happy Sailing to us all..

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
address, bob, ceo, cruise, curious, makes, money, motter, past, rci, ship, words