Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 AM

Ok questions coming to mind as I have a full day to reflect that we are cruising again soon!

On carnival they had drink specials. $3-4 for a rum punch etc. On RC I noticed all of their "drink specials' came with a souvenier glass for like $8. I like the glasses but honestly they are hard to transport home and really how many souvenior glasses does one need? Do they have daily drink specials on RC that DON"T come with a glass? Or are you better off just going to the bar and paying a regular drink price?

One more beverage question. I know bringing alcohol is frowned upon...do they care about a few 20 Oz bottles of Coke? All the kids will get a drink card but I know last time I had a few little bottles of Coke left from the trip to port. It was handy to just keep that little bottle in our cabin and in the evening when getting ready for dinner or waiting for daughter to wake from a nap to have a glass of Coke. Is that ok or do they frown upon that too? I could always have the kids go get me one but it seems like alot to ask if I can have a few in the cabin (I'm talking maybe one a day)

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Alas, you always run the risk of being that person who gets caught bringing contraband beverages on board. You stand a good risk of being able to smuggle the cokes but there is an equal opportunity that you will receive your luggage sans colas. I have been successful in the past but now I just deal with the inevitable on ship prices.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM

You can buy a drink special of the day without purchasing a souveneir glass. The cost ranged from $4.75 to $6 depending on that days specials.

On AOS in 4/7, I had no problems carrying on 2 2 liter Diet Coke bottles. They were still sealed, and I had purchased them in Barbados.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

they dont care about cokes...brink all you can carry if you like

the drink specials without the fancy cup started at $4.75 + 15% tip (gag)

I like how they say tipping is a personal choice
but you cant remove that 15% tip on every drink even ones that just require the bartender to pop a top on your beer...it's a service charge and it's a lie to call it a tip.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Please don't begrudge the hard working folks on the ship their tip/service charge or whatever you'd like to call it. If you're wanting an all inclusive cruise where they won't charge you those tips (or even for the drinks) book Regent or Seaborn, maybe SeaDream Yacht Club. On SeaDream they'll even include champaigne and caviar served from a surfboard in the lagoon at a port.

If the mainstream cruiselines didn't charge for these things they'd have to raise the cost of your cruise. I'm pretty happy with the program the way it is, even the drink prices are cool with me. A cruise on a mainstream line is generally a bargain, even better some times of the year. I'm happy to absorb the 15% and give them extra if they're personable and mix a good drink.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 PM

TrvlPro - I agree with you! Thanks for the post. I even feel the same way about the soda prices. I think nothing of reaching into the fridge in the room and pulling out one of the sodas or water if I want - I am on vacation and I expect to spend money to enjoy myself!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
shelby-Just remember to tell the cocktail waiter/waitress or the bartender that you would like your cocktail in a regular glass-you will not be charged the souvenier glass price. This is a selling technique common to all the mainstream cruiselines!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 06-19-2007, 06:41 AM

Yep, even when you purchase a cola card on RCCL, you are going to receive a souvenir plastic mug. This is kinda handy as it holds more than a standard glass and stays colder out on the decks. Plus, when you present one to a bartender, they tend not to check your sea pass for the cola sticker. It's just not proper to take in to the formal dining area.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, carribean, cost, cruise, daily, drink, drinks, frowned, lines, prices, royal, served, special, specials, tipping