Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 AM

im sure there will be some of you who don't condone alcohol being brought onto the boat - others may feel this is not unreasonable and obviously if consumed moderation, it should be acceptable.

i am by no means a big drinker but i, along with friends, do hope that there will be occasions where we can relax with a bottle of rum etc etc. i appreciate bringing alcohol on board is against RC policies, but wanted to know what people felt were the realistic punishments - surely not left behind? i would imagine that the alcohol would be confiscated?

on the same subject, how much should one expect to pay for say a rum and coke, or vodka and coke on board the cruise? i presume all alcohol comes at a price once boarded.

comments appreciated!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Administrator

The official policy for this forum is that we endorse cruise line rules for personal beverages, which means we don't allow messages which promote bringing liquor aboard. As long as this thread doesn't go there, we'll leave it open.

Royal Caribbean's policy is the most strict. It can be viewed HERE.

I've personally not heard of anyone being kicked off the ship for breaking the rules. I imagine it would depend on the severity of the attempt, the level of deception, the amount.

However I have personally known of guests who were summoned to the security area, where their luggage had been quarantined because they suspected it contained booze. They were required to open it, and security took the liquor, and I imagine a record of the attempt was logged. It was returned to them at the end of the cruise.

If luggage is unlocked they don't need you to be present. I don't know if RCI does it, but Carnival does. One of our suitcases was opened and searched by Carnival. It didn't have any prohibited items in it, but they thought it might. When we opened that bag there was a letter on top of the clothes saying they had searched it.

All luggage is x-rayed, using high end equipment as is used by TSA.

Personally, I think it should be this way: If a bottle of liquor in it's original container is identified, confiscate it. If someone is using a rumrunner, beer bra, or has poured booze into a mouthwash bottle, they can no longer claim ignorance of the rule. I'd be fine with their being denied boarding. A couple object lessons like that and word gets around.

Another thing to note: in many U.S. jurisdictions, carrying liquor around in public in a non-original container is a misdemeanor. Even having the seal broken on the original bottle can be against the law.

A rum and coke (or any similar mixed drink) goes for around $6. Close to $7 once the 15% automatic gratuity is added.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Excuse my ignorance but what is a rumrunner and a beer bra?

B
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator

They are containers used to sneak prohibited liquids aboard a ship. Google "rum runner flask", "beer bra", "beer belly", and you'll see them. I will not link to them.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 PM
This is the way I look at: Their ship, their rules. End of story. Thanks for the info Dave.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Chances are that anyone trying to bring alcohol on board will be caught. With my luck I probably be one of the few that wouldn't be allowed to board the ship. Why take a chance just for a bottle of booze? Even if one where successful in smuggling a bottle on board--they still would be breaking the rules.

Sonny
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 AM

thanks dave and co, all very informative!

i certainly agree that there is a risk and probably one that is not worth taking. interesting note regarding cost of alcohol on the ship - actually not as expensive as i thought!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Default Question
Hi,

We are going on RC cruise(Voyager of the seas) in a month, and I am highly considering of using some of those rum runners. Would it be smart to put it inside the toiletry bag with the rest of the things or is it better as some argued, to put it quite close to the wheels of the suitcase.
In the worst case scenario, they will only take it and won't return it at all but never more than that, right?

Many thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Hi eyal_kg, the worst case scenario is that you will be prohibited from boarding without a refund. Don't know if it's worth it to you, but it is against their policy and if you read the link Dave provided, you will see that they have the right to refuse boarding without refund. What you opt to do, is your own decision. We will not recommend any method of smuggling.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Administrator

The worst case scenario for purposely trying to conceal alcohol is they can kick you off the cruise with no refund. RCI Alcohol Policy

Our forum policy is to support the rules of the cruise lines.

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, board, bringing, caribbean, carribean, carrying, cost, cruise, flask, review, reviews, royal, rum, runner, ship