Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Hello , can you experience cruisers please help me with this. I've booked two D-1 cabins on Independence of the Seas for spring break 2009. When I booked these D-1 cabins, they gave me $100 credit onboard for each cabin and half deposit. Say if later I wanted to upgrade to a Jr. suite. I know that I will lose the credit onboard, but if the price goes lower, I would like to go for Jr. suite. What is going to happen? My TA said from the beginning that if I cancel the booking I have to pay the fine of $150 for 2 rooms. So if I want to upgrade, does it count as a cancel or rebooking?

The reason I ask, is that when I see the price going lower, I call to ask my TA about it. But he gets grouchy. He's probably afraid that I'm cancelling, He kept telling me to stay put because of price is already good enough. Everybody says it's better to book with an agent so I did. My TA was nice at first, but he has become difficult. I call him only once and he snaps at me, asking me if I want to cancel. I said no, I just want to see if I am eligble to get the credit refund. He explained to me that if I rebooked the room, I would lose the credit onboard and he was right about it. But he could've said it in a nicer way. After that time, I'm afraid to ask him anything about the cruise because he is not too nice about it. That is why I'm asking you guys first, before I ask him. Thank you!
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 09-15-2007, 06:21 AM

Never let a TA intimidate you. This is your cruise and your money. To make an upgrade on the same cruise is not a cancel and rebook, it is simply an upgrade of the same booking. Even if you were to cancel the whole booking, and rebook, there shouldn't be any penalties this far in advance.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:33 PM

First of all, you can keep the same booking number, and your on board credit. You can rebook using the same booking number you have now. Your TA seems to be only interested in his comission. If I were you I'd call Royal Caribbean and tell them what your tell us in you post. Please keep in mind that you can keep the booking number that you have. This is very important. Keep us posted on what's happening.

Sonny
Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Thank you Cruise Fanatic and Sonny for your replies. I think I'll wait until the price for Jr. suites to go down again, then I'll call my TA to upgrade. I just wish I never booked my cruise with this TA. I think I have to find another TA next time.
I will call Royal Caribbean and let you guys know how things are going.
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Hello,

I know from experiance that if you make a booking and deposit it, they will actually class it as a cancellation as they have to then refile all new paper work... well thats how its done in Australia. as most of the terms and conditions if you read will say your Deposit is non refundable or transferable....

... keep on cruising!! and Rhapsody hurry up and get to Australia... IM WAITING )
Old 09-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Cruiseking, If you book a cruise, you have to put down a deposit. If you cancel the cruise before final payment is due, usually 70 days prior to the sailing date, you will get your deposit refunded in full. If you make your final payment and cancel the cruise, you will loose the downpayment; but you'll get a refund on the rest of the money paid. This is only within 31 days of the sailing date. After that, you will loose 50% of what you paid for the cruise. If you cancel within one week of the cruise you will loose everything you paid. If you buy insurance you won't have to worry. However, you need to have documentation explaining the reason you had to cancel. Hope is didn't confuse you too much.

Sonny
Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Sonny, I e-mailed RCCL and told them that sometime in the future I might want to upgrade from D-1 to Jr.suite. I asked them if I keep the same booking number, am I going to lose the credit on board? This is what they replied to me "We are unable to release any information on any reservations made by travel agent without said travel agent's approval. This policy is a security measure protecting both travel agent and your reservation. Please have your travel agent contact our reservation department with you in conference, perhaps the travel agent will allow the release of information from your reservation."
I thought that they could answer any question, guess I was wrong .
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 09-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Don't feel bad. I get the same response when I try to take care of something. They won't do anything if you booked through a travel agent. You have to let your travel agent call them. Remember this: Your travel agent will work for you and should be happy to take care of your request. Make sure they're aware you want to keep the same booking number; this is very important. If you re-book, you won't get your on board credit. To put your mind to rest, call the C&A and ask about keeping the same booking number. You're just asking, not taking any action. Let us know what happens.

Sonny
Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Thank you Sonny, I'll let you guys know how things turn out!
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
This is what they replied to me "We are unable to release any information on any reservations made by travel agent without said travel agent's approval. This policy is a security measure protecting both travel agent and your reservation. Please have your travel agent contact our reservation department with you in conference, perhaps the travel agent will allow the release of information from your reservation.
You will keep your same booking number and it does NOT count as a cancellation. I have done this so many times it's not funny. I don't think there's been a cruise yet that I've booked and haven't changed or upgraded. I even "degraded" once. It's all the same booking number.

If you want to confirm this with the cruise line, call in and act like you're just inquiring about a cruise (thinking of PERHAPS taking one) and no you haven't booked yet. Then ask all the questions you want and tell them you'd like to think about it. Take their name and extension number and tell them that if you do want to book that YOU will call them and you would appreciate them waiting for that call rather than them calling you to ask further.

Now some agencies have a cancellation fee or a change fee and you need to ask them this BEFORE you book anything. On our last cruise we could upgrade for free but now downgrade (without it costing us a change) and if we cancelled it was $100 to do so. Also if there was a price reduction we got the first one free and any other reduction after that was subject to a $25 Admin fee. That was all particular to THAT agency.

I have two cruises booked right now with another TA and there's no cancellation, change, upgrade, degrade or any other fees attached to these bookings and I was very careful to ask those questions ahead of booking. I had to learn the hard way.

Kim

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, d1, jr, js, liberty, mariner, minisuite, reservation, reviews, royal, seas, suite, ta, upgrade, vs