Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   1st Bermuda Questions (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/2389-1st-bermuda-questions.html)

DeAnnaM 06-16-2009 05:14 AM

Hello,
My name is DeAnna. My husband and I are going on a cruise with my grandmother to Bermuda to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary. I have a few questions that I hope someone can assist me with. We are on the ship "Explorer of the Seas"

We leave NJ July 18th and arrive to Kings Wharf July 20 and depart Bermuda the 21st at 5pm

1st question, my grandmother can get around, but needs resting as she is still recovering from back surgery. We booked the night glass bottom tour and we wanted to know if anyone has ever taken this tour.

2nd-Has anyone taken the bus from the port to the beaches? Is it a lot of walking once off the bus to the beach? Does anyone have any special beaches they would recommend. I personally want to see pink sand (favorite color) ;o)

3rd-What is a Soda Fountain package? Don't they have drinks available or this is something we have to purchase if we want a soda?

And last question (sorry so many) We are on deck 8 at the very back of the boat. Will we feel a lot of motion?

Thank you so much for your help. Any advice is appreciated dearly.

DeAnna

Cruise Fanatic 06-16-2009 07:46 AM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat.

I haven't been on the glass bottom boat but can address the rest. I went to several beaches. Tobacco Beach, and St Catherine's Beach. Both would be not much walking. Elbow beach was more walking. The bus dropped you off and it was a long walk. There was a little shuttle bus though to take you to the beach. It cost $1. This was in 2005.
The soda package is unlimited sodas for one price. (one package per person no sharing). This is for people who drink a lot of soda more than 3-4 a day. Sodas if bought individually are about $1.75 plus 15% gratuity. (unless they've gone up)
Many people that get rear balconies really enjoy them.

penny3333 06-16-2009 09:29 AM

Hi DeAnnaM, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Congratulations on your upcoming cruise and your anniversary. Bermuda is gorgeous, and the bus system is very user friendly. Sorry to hear your grandmother is recovering from back surgery, sounds very painful. The ships are so large that I doubt you'll feel any more motion in the rear than anywhere else on the ship, which is very minimal. Horseshoe Beach is a beautiful pink sand beach. It's been years since I was there, so I don't remember how much walking was involved, but I do remember how beautiful the beach was. The locals are very friendly and helpful, so just ask the bus driver and he/she can let you know which beach would require the least walking other than the ones Cruise Fanatic listed. There are plenty of free beverages on board, just not sodas and alcoholic beverages. There is coffee, tea, water (which is better than bottled water), some type of punch or lemonade at lunch, orange juice, apple juice, and grapefruit juice for breakfast. So, unless you have to have a soda, you can always find something to drink on board. I have not been on your particular excursion, but it should be very beautiful. You might even decide to try some snorkeling, the water is so clear. I hope your family has a marvelous time, perfect weather, and will become as addicted to cruising as the rest of us are. Best wishes, and once again, welcome aboard!

rsantars 06-16-2009 10:47 AM

Hi DeAnnaM,

Last year me and my fiancť cruised Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda. We liked it so much we decided to go back and we leave this Saturday the 20th out of Bayonne, NJ.
We took public transportation to Horseshoe Beach. Penny summed up the beaches and the locals perfectly. I can tell you the bus drops you at the top of a hill for Horseshoe Beach. Itís a decent walk downhill. There was a shuttle that would run people up the hill for $1. I didnít see him taking people down Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!!!!

billybuzzy 06-16-2009 03:17 PM

DeAnnaM -Welcome to cruise-chat - the friendliest chatroom on the internet (and the most informative!). The Explorer of the Seas is a megaliner and it would be a great idea to bring a ligthweight wheelchar (called a travel chair) with you to assist your grandmother in getting around and to do things.

Last Fall I brought one with me to assist my girl in getting around both the ship and Bermuda. It was perfect and whenever assistance was needed the ship's crew pitched right in to help! We had a standard balcony, we did not need a handicapped cabin!

Many cruisers prefer cabins in the stern - they are wonderful! It' s the motion of the ocean that does it!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

DeAnnaM 06-17-2009 03:51 PM

Thank you for your info. We are so excited to go. I really am happy to hear about the "free coffee" as I am truly addicited to ice coffee.
I take it that its probably best that grandma goes to local shopping areas and hubby and I do the beaches. I dont want to be slow about it. I really want to walk the beach and look for sea glass and get in extra kisses..lol...

Has anyone ever played the Dating/Love game???? I read that somewhere and wonder if I should try to participate.
Again, thank you all for answering me.

poormom 06-17-2009 05:00 PM

Deanna
We loved the explorer as well. We were right in the bow, and the motion was a pleasant, gentle rocking. Never enough to throw anone off balance even.
They have coffee round the clock at the cafe promenade. It was our favorite people watching spot. In the evening, you could admire all thefancy dinner outfits. During the day you could watch the world start to wake up.
As for Bermuda....I'm leaving the day after tomorrow!!!!!!
I'll try to help you with any questions when I get back.
Marsha

penny3333 06-18-2009 07:47 AM

DeannaM, if at all possible, please play the game. I don't know if it's called Newlywed, Dating, whatever it's called, it's a hoot! In fact, try to get in as many of them as you can. They are all loads of fun.

DeAnnaM 06-18-2009 11:50 AM

My grandma asked me earlier if anyone can answer how she is to reserve a wheelchair...takng a shot, since everyone on here seems so awesome.
Thanks in advance!

billybuzzy 06-18-2009 12:06 PM

DeAnnaM - Try contacting your TA(Travel Agent) first, the alternative is to go to the cruiseline website and contact them directly. If the cruiseline knows your travel needs they can adjust/provide accordingly! They are very accommodating!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy