Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM

I've been reading that some of the RCI ships have eliminated the lobster altogether & replaced it with a seafood platter. A few of the ships still offer lobster but limit each person to some degree. I can foresee a day when they'll be charging $14.95 similar to the steak surcharge.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi Rich,

Lobster is very expensive as is steak, however I can see where they are coming from with having to limit portions, I've heard of people ordering 3 and 4 and to be honest I dont think thats right. Thats just abusing the situation. Im sure most men wont agree with me. Maybe its because of not limiting people to one or two max that this is now arising where they are deciding to charge 14.95.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Right now,here in Connecticut, the price of lobster is at a low, lobster in the markets can be found for less than $6/lb. and We are seeing lobster dinner specials for under $10/pp. It doesn't sound like the cruiselines are shopping in the right places!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
NCL stopped serving lobster in their main dining rooms and substituted a Sea Food casserole...which wasn't that bad...but now with their new policy, they indicated they were bringing lobster back....for me, give me a steak anytime....Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

It isn't so much gluttony in the main dining rooms as it is the cruise line looking at yet another revenue pipeline. While some passengers order multiple items, that really isn't a widespread occurrence - certainly not to the point of being a reason to start charging for steak. I can't recall the last time I saw someone at my table order multiple entrees.

I've read notes on other boards where people are justifying the extra-fees in the dining room by claiming "well, the free steak wasn't any good anyway". People need to be careful when saying things like that. Soon the "free" chicken could start getting rubbery and the "free" pasta start looking like canned Franco-American. But wait!...I see a $9.95 organic chicken breast on the menu and an individually prepared pasta primavera for $8.95!

The slippery slope begins with just one item being extra.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 AM

The dining rooms on board ships are not considered an all you can eat buffet. Many people feel that sitting down to dinner entitles them to ALL they can eat of the entree being served. I guess that what is considered to be sufficient by some is not enough for others. I for one have been known to ask for 2nds on occassion and do appreciate that it is available and the request honored. Perhaps there should be an expected limit and if a person needs more than a minimum charge could be considered. Lots of issues on this subject and time will only tell if charging will become the norm or we will just see the cabin prices reflective of the increased appetities of the cruisers...I guess all that salt air and walking around the islands may be the culprit in this whole matter.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM

For me it just would not be a cruise without lobster night. What would all the head waiters do if there was no lobster to shell? I never request more than one entree in the dinning room but might be tempted to on lobster night. I have never had to request seconds because they have always offered to me by my waiter.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What would all the head waiters do if there was no lobster to shell?
Yes indeed, the shelling ceremony. Of course they do it for the shrimp too. And let's not forget the ritual of the pepper mill (would you like some freshly ground pepper on your salad, sir?)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by peter l:
The dining rooms on board ships are not considered an all you can eat buffet. Many people feel that sitting down to dinner entitles them to ALL they can eat of the entree being served.

Peter1
I don't know about that one Pete, for as long as I've been cruising it has. I would feel shortchanged if the waiter told me I couldn't have an extra side order of 3 lamb chops or an extra appetizer but at the same time I can't understand why they don't put some limit on certain extra orders. There are some people who consume 8, 10 or 12 of the those small lobsters at a sitting. I've even read about a waiter who said one woman ate 27 at one sitting. Admittedly they are small in size but still fairly expensive.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
What would all the head waiters do if there was no lobster to shell?
Yes indeed, the shelling ceremony. Of course they do it for the shrimp too. And let's not forget the ritual of the pepper mill (would you like some freshly ground pepper on your salad, sir?)

No lobster to shell.
No Cesar salad to toss.
No fruit flambe to saute.

There's not much left to do except sometimes come by the table & smile so we don't forget to tip extra.

Closed Thread

Tags
anymore, caribbean, charge, cribbean, cruise, dinner, england, lobster, night, reviews, royal, ships