Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
If someone would want to steal it, what good would a stub be?
It would show that handed off your luggage to ship or port personnel. For all we know, someone could go to the port and pretend to be port personnel and put luggage in their car.

Plus, maybe if it didn't get put on the wrong ship, maybe that could be tracked somehow. I think it's a little added insurance for the passenger and for the cruise line that someone doesn't claim two bags are missing when they only brought one.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM

So, just to clarify. We should secure our luggage tags before arriving at the pier? (we are going to Miami the day before). My papers will be arriving soon in the mail (RCI said they had been sent yesterday). I have no idea if they will include luggage tags. I hope so. If not I'll print them and take them along with a roll of clear packaging tape and apply them at the hotel pre-cruise.

How does the luggage drop off work at the pier? From what I've read, there will be random people waiting to take your luggage when you exit your vehicle or cab - is that correct? And we are supposed to tip them? Can we transport our luggage on our own to the check in area? I don't like the idea of dropping our luggage away from the ship, but if that's what is done, I will. What is the suggested tipping per bag at that point? My husband will want to be prepared with the correct cash on hand. We are glad to tip and always do on trips, but I HATE to be asked for money.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Barb,

Porters who work for the port authority will be at the terminal entrance. They aren't random people - they all have assigned roles. If you look closely they have security badges since they are moving in and out of the secure customs area. You have to hand off all the big pieces of luggage to them. You go through a security check point which has x-ray machines and the only luggage you can bring aboard has to fit in the x-ray machine - which uses the same templates as airport machines.

These are desirable jobs and those people aren't going to jeopardize them by stealing luggage. Think of all the police and security that are everywhere at ports these days, looking for suspicious activity. Too much risk for a criminal enterprise.

Give them 2 or 3 bucks per bag. We usually have 3 bags to drop off and I'll just hand them a 10 dollar bill.

You can put the tags on anytime you want, but the porters will not accept your luggage unless it is tagged. I'd advise you to do it before you get there so you don't hold up the line.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
but the point is- 2 of the bags had all tags (4 on each) ripped off by the scanners they are using
The new tags are too narrow and too long. I don't know why they made them so long, but it invites snagging and subsequently being ripped away.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Thank you so much, Dave!

I have a clearer picture of the process now and I appreciate your help.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM

Port security is much better than airport security, that is for sure. Even though at the airport, the baggabe handlers are in uniform. However, I've never paid attention to their employee identifications, guess I should. I probably am way too trusting, but have never had any luggage stolen. I do like the bin idea, at least you'd know it was in the correct bin for the correct ship.

Barb, we usually tip $2-$3/bag, too. The porters at port Everglades normally wear white shirts and black pants and have their identifications either around their necks or attached to their pockets. They will also have luggage tags if you don't have one.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Barb,

Have a great cruise. I was thinking of doing the same thing, using clear packing tape to reinforce the luggage tags. I will remove the airline tags in the hotel the night before and attach the cruise tags and reinforce with packing tape. I agree with Maurine that it would be nice if the new tags were stronger, but I would rather just get my luggage in a timely manner. We used the shipside tags and they misplaced two of 6 bags, the tags had come off. Easy enough to retrieve, but less hassle is good too.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

I was totally unaware we should tip. In Baltimore we put our own bags in the bin. No one asked for a tip or was offended we did not offer one. Then in Miami the porter said he'd take the bags and that if we wanted to leave a donation, now was the time. When we started to walk away without leaving a donation, he repeated his spiel. Now it didn't feel voluntary and I was a bit frustrated and felt like the "donation" was mandatory. He saw my frustration as I started to reach for some money and said if I didn't want to give I didn't have to. We weren't real happy.

I just felt like okay, we heard him the first time he asked for money and when he said it again he was pressuring us and I didn't like that. I think RC should have something in their docs or online about giving a tip to the pier porters. I admit I was totally unaware this is customary. Next time I'll be prepared and have a couple bucks out.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 AM

I put the ship luggage tags on at the airport after I retrieved our bags from the airline baggage claim area.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

It can depend on the port. It might be possible that some port authorities do not allow soliciting of tips. We had the same thing in Baltimore. The porters loaded the bags and didn't say a word and acted like we weren't even there. So we just walked away without tipping. In Seattle last year it was the same way.

Closed Thread