Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
If only a couple of suitcases are late getting to their correct cabins among over 3,000 passengers - I think that's remarkable too.
Yes, they do do a great job. I can't remember the exact time I've gotten my luggage, but it has been pretty timely. And when we disembarked, we easily found our luggage so I'm happy.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Tipping for cruise employees is posted on the Web site. What's the difference?
The difference is those are cruise line employees whereas the porters on the pier work for the port authority. You can't post everything on a website. They post the things they can control. If they are going to post tipping policies for porters maybe they should post tipping policies for taxi drivers, bus drivers, and skycaps at the airport too. Pretty soon you have so much stuff to wade through you can't find the pertinent cruise information.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 AM

I am not opposed to tipping,

however...

Does anyone else agree that if companies and businesses actually paid their employees what they deserved, tipping wouldn't be necessary?

I feel that if I use the goods and services of certain places often (local restaurants, hairdresser, etc) and don't tip well, my service will decline or there will be retribution. So, I do tip well. However, it irritates me that my waitresses are only making a few dollars an hour and it's expected to be made up in tips. Why am I paying for my meal and the companies employees wages as well?

I feel this is the case for the cruise lines too. I like to tip if the service is exceptional, but these "employees" should be paid by their "employers". It just seems that over the years - tipping has gotten out of hand and everywhere you turn a hand is out. Cruise lines shouldn't recommend tipping amounts, they should pay their employees that amount in their paychecks.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

As with everything, the consumer foots the bill one way or another. When a business has to pay a higher hourly wage the prices will go up to cover it. When that wage can be covered via tips, then it doesn't affect the company's bottom line and the prices stay low. Either way you are paying for it. People like to think corporations pay taxes. No. Their customers pay them. The corporation just has to submit the paperwork.

Most businesses that have employees who are tipped do not have big profit margins. Believe it or not, some individual cruises lose money or merely break even.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maurine:

jerseygirl, have you contacted RC about the issue and given them your suggestions?
We always give RCCL feedback. We have the "happy-happy" attitude before and during our cruise, but when we return we need to assess whether we want to repeat an experience costing $6,500+

My hope is that the cruise lines monitor forums such as this getting some insight as to what concerns their potential and past guests.

Tipping is cultural...there are many countries where the tip is included in dining...I think it is an incentive for an employee to an above-and-beyond job to get a tip...we don't have to tip...and I wouldn't tip anyone who did a horrible job. I do, question, however, the pier tipping issue...I really don't think moving a suitcase 10 feet warrants a tip...especially after having such problems with 3 out 4 suitcases...that is a 25% success rate? Not so good!!
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Barb, As long as you do not mind if the price you pay goes up and then you get no tipping. But I bet that price wouldn't be the $10 bucks a day you pay for tips. It would be much higher, and cruisers would suffer. There are plenty of ways not to tip, you choose restaurants where it is not "reccomended," and go to salons where tipping is built into the price.

Sorry to go on this tangent again, but tipping is part of cruising and EVERYONE I ever tipped deserved it. Some deserved more than others and got it. As Sonny says that many bags that successfully to cabins is a major feat. The few that are misdirected get found. Unlike the airlines, the luggage is in a contained area, and tracking is not necessary. When my bags get lost with an airline, I think it is hysterical that everyone who touches my luggage gives me call.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 AM

[/quote] the pier tipping issue...I really don't think moving a suitcase 10 feet warrants a tip...especially after having such problems with 3 out 4 suitcases...that is a 25% success rate? Not so good!![/quote]

What happens to move your bag after the 10ft ?? It gets from that area to your cabin, right ? So why do you assume what you saw is all it takes ? It has been pointed out that RCI does not own or police the ports, and all the politics and unions are the cause of different treatment at different ports. Choose what port what you want if that is so offensive to you.

Jersey girl some things so innocent get way blown out of control. A bag is placed in front of a cabin door, the occupants are having a grand time "celebrating their honeymoon," or haven't got up from the pool bar on their first cruise....when they get back to their cabin they notice that someone else's bag has been incorrectly put in their stateroom, and put it back outside their door to continue celebrating , or sleep off their welcome aboard drinks. Finally the steward notices it and gets the bag to behind the scenes guy who gets it to your steward eventually. Very probable....

Sure there are horrible stories like the couple in Arizona, but even that is one in a million. That is not something for a cruise line to change their baggage policy.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm kinda on the fence about eliminating tipping and having it built into the price. If tipping were eliminated I think some people might not be inclined to tip extra where before they would have. This would be to the employees' detriment.

I wonder if tipping is an incentive to have the employees work harder. I don't know. I received excellent service from RC employees who don't receive tips.

Even though guidelines are posted, I'm sure there are some who tip below those guidelines and weren't necessarily unhappy with their service. Likewise there will be some who tip more so I'm sure it evens out.

I don't see tipping going away.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Does anyone know, do the employees who receive tips keep all of it or is it put into a pool and divided up?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator

This thread is a case study in thread-drift.

Tip allocation depends on where the employee works. Bar staff pools them and divides by some formula. Same for waiters working Anytime Dining. Dedicated waiters and cabin attendants keep what you give them, or they may have other crew helping them with the cabins in which case they'll split the tips up.

Now, we started with a report on the Liberty cruise. Since then we've had protracted discussions on baggage, porters, tips to porters, tips to the crew, baggage tags, ports standardizing their tipping policies, and there may be a couple messages in here discussing global warming and whether Oprah is making the wise choice by ending her show.

If you want to discuss tips and such, please start new message threads. I am closing this elephant!

Closed Thread