Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM

Can't believe our 14 days are over!

Liberty is beautiful...chandeliers, etc. rival Voyager's.

RCCL is having a major problem with their new luggage tags...they are just flimsy paper and rip off very easily, so many bags had to be retagged by staff. One piece took 10 hours to get to us...no one had any idea where it was...they never did explain where it was all that time...

2 other bags had 3 of my own tags all torn off...yes, I had 3 of my own tags on each...must be a problem with equipment they are using. Never had such a problem with luggage! Such a leap of faith dropping it off on the pier with no way of proving that you even had the luggage...except your word for it. They even told us to check the hallways because pieces get delivered to the wrong cabins...and what happens when those people aren't so honest?

b2b is great...especially having the ship to ourselves...great pictures of just us on the ship...you know...like it is our own private GIANT yacht!

Diamond perks aren't what they used to be...no commemorative gift, booklet almost useless (specialty coffee...can always get that in the Diamond lounge); 15% off $100 bottle of wine; 2 for 1 milkshakes at Johnny Rockets (it now costs $4.95 cover charge at Johnny Rockets!); 20% discount on bottle of Dom...percentage discounts on very pricey items...do they think that all Diamonds & Diamond Plus are rich? I thought the idea was a reward/loyalty program to keep us coming back.

Dining in the regular dining room was definitely below what we have experienced...very limited menu and assistant waiters were spread very thin. Finished dessert and then coffee and tea showed up. There seems to be confusion for staff with the "My time dining" and the other 2 seatings. On more than one evening we got menu booklets with nothing in them, in a different language and covered with sticky, dried on food on the cover.

I usually had to clean off my seat before I sat for dinner (and we were the first seating) I really felt for the waiter...he said he had worked previously in Chops, so I am sure he was frustrated with the quality of service he could provide being spread so thin. We just felt, for the first time, like we were just being treated as a mass cruise experience.

Portofino and Chops Grille were amazing...truly worth the $20 and $25 extra.

Shows were spectacular, as well as the Cruise Director & his staff...although he did like to be in front of that camera (the roaving video)
Eventhough it was a b2b, we saw different shows because of the way they schedule them and a new show (lucky for us) came on the 2nd week.

My only criticism of the actual ship is the Solarium...small in comparison with ships such as Rhapsody or Jewel. RCCL may need to strike a balance between adult only areas and kids areas. 2nd week had very few kids and people were always roaming, looking for chairs in the Solarium area. There is also a buffer area that is closed in that was only used for storage of chairs...it could have used since we had alot of wind from the hurricane remnants. This is when ships that have the moving, crystal canopy are appreciated.

Labadee was perfect...new Straw Market area less intimidating...apparently they have been advised to be less aggressive...and it worked.

All in all, we had a great time...and really weren't ready to leave!

Looking forward to next year!
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM

I forgot to mention, the Diamond/Diamond Plus booklets did have a $10 coupon for internet which was very useful!
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 AM

Welcome back jerseygirl74 Sounds like overall, you had a good time. Sorry to hear about the problems in the dining room and with your luggage. It makes it so hard flying because you don't want to take more than one bag. The only time I experienced waiting for my luggage was when the airline decided to send it to Seattle instead of San Juan. Three days without clothes was not fun. They did give me a $500 credit in the shop, but you know how expensive everything is on board.

I'm glad you experienced a b2b, but it is still sad when you have to debark I see by your ticker you're doing another b2b next year on the Solstice. I'll post pictures when we get back and do a review. I don't know if I can do as good of a job as you did, though

Thank you so much for taking time to share with us. Best wishes!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Diamond perks aren't what they used to be...no commemorative gift, booklet almost useless (specialty coffee...can always get that in the Diamond lounge); 15% off $100 bottle of wine; 2 for 1 milkshakes at Johnny Rockets (it now costs $4.95 cover charge at Johnny Rockets!); 20% discount on bottle of Dom...percentage discounts on very pricey items...do they think that all Diamonds & Diamond Plus are rich? I thought the idea was a reward/loyalty program to keep us coming back.
I'm a gold member and was very disappointed with the "perks." We got a booklet too with the JR coupon, but guess what? no JR on board so useless and a coupon for a free glass, but only on some Alaska cruise. Did you the one for 5 free mins of Internet. The Welcome Back party also left a lot to be desired.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Dining in the regular dining room was definitely below what we have experienced
We were disappointed on the Serenade too. I don't think they changed the tablecloth. We had the same stained cloth for at least a week. Employees insisted we sanitized before entering, then we were handed the dirty menus. Menus are also too large.

We did tell our waiter we wanted things sped up and he did. We didn't need to have our food synchronized with the others at the table. We didn't want to spend all evening in the DR.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
people were always roaming, looking for chairs in the Solarium area
This was a prob on the Serenade as well. People tended to camp out in the solarium and this meant there wasn't a lot of turnover of chairs. Also the solarium lounge chairs were padded which I didn't like because they took longer to dry. I don't want to sit down for the first time in wet.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
b2b is great...especially having the ship to ourselves...great pictures of just us on the ship...you know...like it is our own private GIANT yacht!
What do you mean you had teh ship to yourselves?

What are the new luggage tags?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM

When we did the b2b and did not want to do a tour in Miami, they waited until all the other passengers were officially disembarked, then the concierge walked us off the ship, up to customs, and then walked us back on the ship...no other guests except for about 15 of us were back on the ship. Normally, guests get on about 11am, but the sanitized ritual they go through which takes about an hour, was delayed and guests did not start coming aboard until 1:45...so we have all kinds of pictures with just us on the ship...in the pool. We were standing on the deck looking at the huge lines waiting to get on...some of them were waiting in line for over 2 hours!

The luggage tags are printed with your cabin, name, etc. which is suppose to make it easier to get them to your cabin. The new ones are so thin that they tear off easily. The old ones had to be cut off, so I had never experienced such a problem before. I think rccl needs to rethink the new tags. When we went down to deck 2 (where all lost luggage goes), the person in charge of the luggage actually demonstrated to me how easily the tags tear off...so...I am sure there are many problems across the fleet with lost luggage. The interesting part of this, is that all our own tags stayed intact with the airline...it was just the pier & ship where all the tags got torn off!

My suggestion, until they fix the problem, is for everyone to put tape on your bag with your name & cabin, so even if all the tags are torn off, they will know where it goes.
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Cool! It was like your own private yacht.

Hmmm....I haven't had probs with the RC luggage tags. I didn't put them on until after we got off the plane.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 PM

That's a great idea jerseygirl74. We have always had the tags from the cruise lines that have withstood the baggage handlers. The new idea of print your own, not so sure about and the thin ones are pretty useless. We do have our identification cards in our luggage, but your cabin location taped to the outside would have to be a help. I can foresee in the not to distant future, an airline type system for these behemoth ships.

I can only imagine how relaxed y'all felt watching the lines below. Probably thinking, this is my ship, you can't come in

Closed Thread