Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 05:35 PM

My husband wants me to ask everyone what airline does RC use? We have booked our cruise and bought the airfare with the cruise all in the same package. They told us we won't find out until a month or two before the cruise any details on the flight. He wants to get on the website for the airline that they use and look up flight times.
Thank you very much!

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM

Wesnilin,

The cruise lines use whatever airlines gives them the best deal at that specific time. When you get your docs you will find out or maybe by calling RCCL as you get closer to your cruise.

You will have plenty of time then to figure out how to get your frequent flyer miles etc.

Ken
Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Administrator

The cruise lines reserve blocks of seats on several airlines. You could be on any of the major carriers for your airport. You really can't tell at this point. This is one reason why I book my air seperately.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't believe any of the cruise lines use any one airline; they use which ever one works best with their port dates and sailing times; and, oh yes, whoever gives them the best price.
I've flown on a different airline every cruise I've taken--even charters.
So I don't think your husband is going to find out anything until RCCL decides to tell him.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Lessons learned for some who are following this thread....when you pay, say, $500 per person for air through the cruise line you can bet they are getting it for much less in their contracts with the airlines. Many times you are paying much more than you would if you had booked your own air. Sometimes the air/sea package works to the passenger's advantage but not often.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Dave, I know in theory what you say is right, but the one time I booked my own air it was a near disaster and really soured me on trying it again, except on the simplest domestic flights.
We had planned to arrive in Rome around 11:00 a.m. the day before a Mediterranean sailing to relax and do a little sightseeing. The flight from LAX was delayed three hours which made us miss the connection at Heathrow. We finally got to our hotel about 12:30 a.m.; no sightseeing and a rather expensive hotel room for 6 hours of sleep.
And I have never had a problem booking the air through Princess, even though arriving on the day of sailing.
But I know that's just my experience.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:58 PM

Wesnlin, You can email RCCL 60 days prior to your cruise and check what they have set up for your flight itinery or ask your TA to do. This is a new procedure and does not cost you anything to do it. If you like what has been set up, you can lock it in at this point and it will not change supposedly. Also, we have always booked our flight as a cruise pkg and supposedly could help especially if you were flying the day of the cruise in case of a delay. I have seen them hold a ship for several hours for this reason. I think it worth the extra. We now do the day before to hopefully solve the same day cruise flying. Enjoy !

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

I got curious and checked on cruise line air versus my own booking with Delta for our June 23 cruise. I was surprised to see the RCI price is only $35 per person more, and of course they include transfers which essentially cancels out the $35. So it is pretty much a wash price wise, at least in this particular case.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:26 PM

I say book your air travel separately on your own. The cruise airfare is usually really expensive. There is an advantage that if you have any type of layover or delay, you won't have to worry about missing the boat. However, if you plan to stay the night in the place that the ship will be docking out of, you won't have a problem. You could be saving yourself tons of money by booking on your own. Try travelocity, expedia, and orbitz.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM

The money you save by booking your flights yourself you are spending in staying overnight. We have taken 4 cruises and booked air with RCCL. Never had any problems and they are responsible for getting you to the port.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
airline, airlines, bookings, caribbean, carnival, code, codes, cruise, cruiseline, lines, rc, reserve, royal, use, whats