Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 08:59 AM

I will be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas an April 24 and hope to be able to backup the photos taken with my digital camera at least once, probably several times, during the cruise.
I don't mind paying the small access fee for one of their PCs ($.50 per minute?).
Can anyone advise if I will be able to get access to a Windows XP, PC, with a USB port and a CD-R drive with Write capability? I of course would expect to bring CDs and cable connections. There would be no software to install on a standard XP, PC. I assume that most digital camera users are either carrying extra memory cards or a lap-top. I prefer to not bring a PC with me.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:59 AM

I will be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas an April 24 and hope to be able to backup the photos taken with my digital camera at least once, probably several times, during the cruise.
I don't mind paying the small access fee for one of their PCs ($.50 per minute?).
Can anyone advise if I will be able to get access to a Windows XP, PC, with a USB port and a CD-R drive with Write capability? I of course would expect to bring CDs and cable connections. There would be no software to install on a standard XP, PC. I assume that most digital camera users are either carrying extra memory cards or a lap-top. I prefer to not bring a PC with me.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:50 PM

Bill, I just got off the Mariner of the Seas and was able to obtain "in cabin" access for the entire cruise with unlimited access for only $100.

I don't believe that you will be able to back up your digital photos in the Internet Cafe (but that is just a guess) If you take your notebook computer and gain "in cabin" access, everyone with you can also use it and it will allow you to do what ever you want.

Tom
Old 03-22-2004, 08:28 AM

Bill, Tom is correct. You are not able to store any data onto the Internet cafe's computers. Essentially, all you have access to is 'dummy' terminal where you can access the internet only.

Your best bet is either bring a laptop with you (if you have access to one) or bring extra memory cards.

I was on the Explorer a few weeks ago and brought along my laptop and was able to take nearly 500 pictures during the week while downloading them every evening.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:49 PM

Thanks GrassHoppa!
Whaty you say makes sense. I think that I was hoping that there would be some sort of Windows XP PC available and that backups would be a major issue now that Digital Cameras are so popular.
I have a Lap Top but I don't really feel like toting it around as carry-on.
I will probably buy a second 256Meg card which will give me plenty of storage even at hi res.
Thanks!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Another option that you have is to use a "portable mass storage" device. about the size of a PDA witha notebook hard drive in it. a 20GB version is around $200, here's a link to some. http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.n.../category.3/.f
I'm going to get one of these, & I'll try to fill it up too!

Good luck.
Peter
Old 03-23-2004, 04:04 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Bill Wyld:
I will be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas an April 24 ]...

I'm glad you asked that question as I was thinking I could download on their computer(s) also. I'm also sailing on Explorer April 24 We will be a group of 8!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:00 PM

My parents had the ships lab download her pictures to a disk for a reasonable Fee.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:39 PM

Well Ray, that is what I was hoping for and was thinking about checking on. I really don't feel like carrying my Laptop, and with a 256 Meg CF Card I can take a lot of pictures, especially if I cut down from Superfine to Fine and to a slightly smaller image size.

I think that I'll pack a few CD-Rs just in case.
Thanks to you and everyone who responded to my post.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:20 PM

Well, I have returned from our cruise and have good news and bad news.
The good news is that the EOS has installed, in the Photo gallery, a machine into which the passenger can insert their memory card and have their JPG images copied. You will have a CD ready in 24 hours for just $15.00. Beats having to carry a laptop through security.
The bad news is that it takes 24 hour to get your card back so you still need a second card. Also, and I didn't find this out until it was too late, eventhough the staff assured me that the process would COPY all file types, it only did JPG files and not AVI files.
To me a bothersome issue is that the CD has a propritary program installed that anyone familiar with Windows, and especially with Windows XP, will not want to use. I exited the program and used Windows to Copy the files to a folder on my HD. I with that EOS has used the copy function instead of a program that read the files and rewrote them which of course means that the original creation dates and times are replaced with the date that they get written to the CD.
I left a suggestion that the program be replaced with one that is more up to date with digital camera technology and that the staff (who are very familiar with digital cameras) be given some training in the software's features (advantages if any and disadvantages).

Closed Thread

Tags
back, backing, camera, caribbean, cruise, digital, explorer, forum, installation, photos, pictures, royal