Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Don't the most ships use the lobsters bred at lobster farms?
I don't know the supply source, but they certainly aren't Maine lobsters. More likely the same sources which supply the boxes of frozen lobster tails to Costco and Sam's Club.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
My advice to cruise loyalists is never ever consider cruising with any other line for any reason. You'll be very disappointed and those who dine with you, your agent, friends and family can do without the comparisons of why it was a disappointing experience because they didn't provide a robe or fold the napkins correctly in the dining room.

Cheers, Neil
Sorry, I have to disagree here. Variety is the spice of life. What a boring world it would be if everyone just did the same thing over and over and never experienced different things. Yes, it is typical of people to compare something to their "first" whatever. First cruise, first car, even first love, first child, first dog. I would hope though that most people are open minded enough to make fair, constructive comparisons, and then choose what works best for them. People grow and learn by trying different things.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:47 AM

Cruise Fanatic, I agree with you completely on variety and love trying new experiences and different lines. I guess its the "Most people are open minded enough to make fair, constructive comparisons" part that I'm beginning to wonder about. Many who have sailed exclusively with one line and really like it don't seem to have the ability to not be critical of the way other lines may opperate. Perhaps I've just had an unusual string of complaints about "They didn't do things this way when I sailed with _____".

I know, I think I just need a vacation so I'll quit being so picky and petty myself over such silly issues. Hmmmm, I wonder if I should do a cruise or resort? Maybe there is someone out there that combines the two and I could cruise to a resort for a few days and then cruise home!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Ok thanks to you now I know something new,
At first I did not understand why you were talking about Lobsters farms,
I didn't know you can grew lobsters, since lobsters in the Caribbean live on the sea,
we not usually have farms to grew them so I guess the lobster you use to eat on cruises is
Is what they call “Fresh Water Lobster" now I can understand why they are smaller and the taste,

But the spiny lobster is not cheaper than the “fresh water lobster”
Actually prices goes as this prices at the moment;

Spiny Lobster average Price: $36

Fresh water average price: $ 25

So you know there are a few problems with the spiny lobster:

• They live on sea and you cannot grow them on farm, you have to catch them. Cuba had been experimenting with them and, at the moment, is the only island that had transplanted them to a place where they don’t have natural enemies giving them a great number on their population but, this number is not good enough to drop down the prices.

• Since they are a protected species and for quite a time had been on extinctions levels, you can only catch lobsters if they are on a certain number of pounds, and a fully grown adult lobster. if they are less than this number you have to release them to sea, so as you see depending on the season you can only found a limited number of adult spiny lobsters to catch and sell for food.

• If you visit the Caribbean you can find the two kinds of lobsters, but our restaurants will always charge you more for the spiny lobster, and prices may vary depending on the season. In most cases, the local restaurants normally will serve you the spiny lobster fresh and the frozen “fresh water” lobsters just for the off season time.

If you ever visit Caribbean, especially Puerto Rico, please remember that our spiny lobster is always fresh catch from sea, but the “fresh water” lobster is not, we have to buy it from Florida or other jurisdiction from USA.
I even know a few restaurants on Puerto Rico that you can see the lobster alive before they prepared it for you and you can choose which one you will want.
If you visit our island, ask for “Asopao de Langosta” or “mofongo relleno de Langosta”
You will love it!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 PM

The lobster complaints kind of make me laugh. You have folks spending thousands of dollars on a cruise and they make a big issue about lobster tails that anyone can buy in the market for about $20. But yes, we have also noticed that RCI has made major cut-backs. Its not just on food but also on entertainment. On the Dec 3 crossing of the Brilliance of the Seas we talked with some entertainers who said there had been reductions in the entertainment budget. We also noticed that the already wine prices had become higher and that more expensive food items such as large shrimp, lobster, and some decent meat (such as good veal) had all but disappeared. Within 4 months of that RCI cruise we also cruised on the Grand Princess (20 days) and the Azamara Journey (18 days) and the quality on both of those lines was good to excellent. We have cruised on 12 different cruise lines and still enjoy RCi (14 cruises with this line) but it no longer measures up to the competition in most areas. We still book RCI when they do a decent itinerary and have a good price, but otherwise, we prefer HA, Princess, Celebrity, Azamara, Crystal, etc.

Hank
Old 05-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Price is affected by more than the species of lobster. What the price is in Puerto Rico is not what the price is in Boston. Oddly enough, I just googled the subject of lobster price and according to this story east coast lobster prices are in the tank, pardon the pun.

I also checked on raising lobsters commercially. The problem is that it takes so long for lobsters to achieve a marketable size that the venture is not profitable.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:35 AM

We have always cruised RCCL--the first two were free, incentive travel. After that I visited my agent, told her we loved those first two--and she encouraged us to never depart from RCCL since we were so satisfied. My parents first cruised with Princess (this stands in their memory as their "best" cruise) and are very loyal to that line. They sailed RCCL once, and Carnival once, and the complaining never stopped. They are very old now and will have to cruise with us if they go at all and we may get in a stalemate over which line to choose.

In the end we are all creatures of habit, and having had a wonderful time at something we try to recreate or exceed it time after time. We hold on to all the experiences and flavors and want them to be present to recreate the magic of that "best" cruise.

You can also poll a hundred people on this site and get 5-6 different answers of which is the best cruise line. I don't think anyone is saying RCCL love it or leave it--I think the greater message is "hey, you've got options--if you aren't happy here try somewhere else".
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Price is affected by more than the species of lobster. What the price is in Puerto Rico is not what the price is in Boston. Oddly enough, I just googled the subject of lobster price and according to this story east coast lobster prices are in the tank, pardon the pun.

I also checked on raising lobsters commercially. The problem is that it takes so long for lobsters to achieve a marketable size that the venture is not profitable.
Thanks for the info Dave

But what I really don't understand is the logic on prices
for me, since we don't breed "fresh water lobster" here on Puerto Rico, it will have to be more expensive than the spiny lobster since we can catch them in our waters and the first one we have to import it from USA, but thats not the case

for soem reason the spiney lobster is more $$$ than the other...
My guess is that maybe, SAMS here on PR, has bring an overstock of them and since we are an island there is not much uses for frozen lobster when we can get it fresh from sea...
Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Island economies are always complex since in many cases the island has to import so much stuff. But PR has so many natural resources and grows so much of it's own food that the usual island economy arguments don't necessarily apply.

I don't know about the lobster pricing in PR. I do know that if it was readily available fresh from the sea, I wouldn't buy frozen!

Many people are afraid to deal with live lobsters and prefer them to be already "processed" (dead).
Old 05-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

To get back on track here - I think it is safe to say RCI has made a mistake by dropping the lobster. Most cruisers expect to see it at least once on the menu, and the price is a fraction of the cost of a cruise. I found $10 lobster tails on line today. I suspect the cruise line could get them cheaper.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaskan, bare, bones, cruise, cruises, liner, lines, live, lobster, lobsters, rci, review, reviews, serve, supply