Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I just toss money around from start to finish - booking price to lavishing the porter with cash as I leave the ship. Then I suffer buyer's remorse.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Dave, That's why I use the term "Generally", not meaning all. You, Penny, me, and others that post to this site know value in cruising. The ones the cruise lines are losing on are the ones that seek out that $299 cruise, will be the first to say they can't afford the gratuities, pig out all day long, and sneak the booze. Those 3/4 day cheap cruises draw a lot of that type of clientele.

We all know your loaded to the gills anyway. Smile
Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Dave, I know what you mean about buyer's remorse. We returned from the Jewel a couple of weeks ago. As always, we spent money like it was going out of style!

The friends who went with us are NCL fans. They were favorably impressed with the ship and the cruise. What amazed them was that we were NEVER hassled to purchase drinks. In fact, if we were sitting on the deck and wanted a drink, we had to either go to a bar or chase down a waiter. Maybe this reflects a change in policy as far as "pushing drinks" is concerned. Nonetheless, it was a surprising change from previous cruises we have been on.

We did have lobster one night. One man at our table ate five lobster tails. IMHO that was pushing the bar a little, but to each his own I guess!

I wonder what the next year will bring as far as people booking cruises; how the cruise lines will handle a decline if that is, in fact, what happens; etc. I still feel that they are a great value and can't wait for our next cruise.

Nadine
Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The ones the cruise lines are losing on are the ones that seek out that $299 cruise, will be the first to say they can't afford the gratuities, pig out all day long, and sneak the booze.
I hesitated to say so, but I'd also find it easy to believe the big booze smugglers and those who don't tip belong to this group. Again, not generalizing but I'd say the percentages probably favor them. But then we've seen examples of "high end" cruisers on this board boasting about sneaking liquor aboard, and even promoting it.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Dave - Heartiest congratulations on your kharma upgrade to Cruise Admiral- It is an honor you have certainly "responded well" to! Can we now call you "Fearless Leader???"

BillyBuzzy
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Nadine M - We have enjoyed precisely the same experience aboard the NCL ships we have sailed on. At no time have alchoholic beverages been " pushed " upon us - yet service was always easily obtained when we have desired such.

BillyBuzzy
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Can we now call you "Fearless Leader???"
Please! No references to Rocky and Bullwinkle!

Besides, this is the wrong thread for my much deserved accolades and honors. The Dave Fan Club thread awaits your contribution.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 AM

Jan, I agree. Dave, I always spend way too mcuh on board, Ron's still griping at me. Don't know why, I pay him back, guess it gives him something to complain about.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:56 AM

On the subject of dropping prices. Dont know where the comments come from I can only tell you that there are lots of bargain prices and some RCL ships which are offering prices 50% less than they were 6 months ago. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so to say. RCL will do what they have to do to maintain profitability. By the way for those with some patience and a little money they can forget for a few years, at around $6 per share RCL is an attractive buy for the future.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 AM

I wonder if those published fares are not even what is effected by this "policy". You see we have a friend who condo is overlooking the cruise port in LA, and RCCL calls HIM when they are not full and offers this guy and his friends absolute bargain basement pricing on their rooms as they can go in 24 hours notice--or less on a weekend. Until Kevin mentioned this little tidbit I had no idea such a call list existed. Perhaps some of this very last minute private contact pricing is mostly what is on the chopping block.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, cruises, deals, drop, drops, fill, minute, price, prices, rci, royal, run, sailing, ship, ships, week