Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChucksOK:
quote:
Unless you are in a suite,
Dave,
I find it curious that RCI feels that they need to advise passengers that a "Suite Attendant" should be tipped $2.25 per day more than the "Stateroom Attendant". Holland America does not make that distinction. They add a flat $10/person/day to your on-board charges whether you are in an inside stateroom or a Deluxe Veranda Suite (as I was on this last cruise). HA must assume that Suite passengers are going to be naturally more generous and don't need prompting to tip accordingly.

Hello Chuck,
We were in an owner's suite on my last cruise and we NEVER saw our steward. We had a bottle of wine in a bucket that had ice in it on our first day, but it never was filled again. The cleaning was sub-par to any other cruise. Needless to say, our tip was also sub-par.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by tanyababanya:
Dave,do you tip different when you stay in Junior suite or is it the same amount as a regular room? The last time we were on the Mariner I wanted to tip my stateroom attendant $3.50 per person per day. My daughter said it's not the right amount because she called the guest relations and they said that it is $4.75 per person per day if you stay in a junior suite. So,I ended up tipping the attendant the suggested amount, even if the amount was not correct he still deserved the money because he did an excellent job while we were on the cruise. The reason I asked is so that next time I will know how much to tip. I'm still new to the cruising things . Thank you.
I've never stayed in a junior suite on RCCL, but I guess it meets the definition for the higher "suggested amount". We usually give more than the suggestted amount anyway, since we usually find the service to be worthy of it. Of course, a clunker of an attendant can happen (as in Sonny's recent cruise).
Old 12-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Talk about services, our waitress was only okay, on the last night I asked to have some A1 for my steak, and she totally forget about it because she was busy talking to other people at the next table (my guess is she knew those people).After waiting for almost 10 min. I asked the assistant waitress to get me the sauce! (The assistant waiter is another story She's always friendly and nice to us.) Anyways, after she was done chit chatting with them,she returned to our table and asked "How are we doing, how come nobody's talking?oh my god, I don't like it when you guys are too quiet!". We just smiled,we didn't know what to say.
This was our first cruise, we were too happy to complain or anything. Hopefully next time we will have a better dining room attendant.
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 AM

I have always been fortunate to have a wonderful wait staff. They are generally the ones that I most remember from past cruises.

However, if the waiter is, as you say - so preoccupied that they do NOT give you good service.. I wouldn't hesitate to ask to speak to the head waiter.

It might not make you too popular with that staff person on that cruise, but you will help other cruisers to receive better service in the future.

Good luck on your next cruise. Don't let the little things ruin a wonderful experience.

QTPie
Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
We were in an owner's suite on my last cruise and we NEVER saw our steward. We had a bottle of wine in a bucket that had ice in it on our first day, but it never was filled again. The cleaning was sub-par to any other cruise. Needless to say, our tip was also sub-par.
Sonny,
Did you advise the hotel manager - he's the guy responsible? I guess we've been lucky - we've always had good stewards - some better than others of course and the occasional one that you want to take home with you!

On this last cruise we had the most incredible concierge - he was fantastic. There was nothing we couldn't (or wouldn't) do - and he had 40 suites and 4 penthouses to worry about! Nothing fell through the cracks with this guy! We didn't have to go to the front desk for anything - we just gave "it" to him and he took care of it. Obviously we (all) tipped him handsomely!

Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
QTPIE,did you have a different avatar with the little guy dancing? It was so cute and i loved it! Why did you change it? I am just curious.
Good luck on your cruise and don't forget to tell us about it when you get back!
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 12-28-2006, 06:19 PM

Yes, I did have a dancing avatar... This morning it was 'Xed' out. I don't know if it was because it was animated, or what.

I'll try to download it again sometime.

Key West, Cozumel, and all points beyond - Here I come.

QTPie
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 PM

[quote]Originally posted by ChucksOK:
Quote:
Sonny,
Did you advise the hotel manager - he's the guy responsible?

Chuck, the Hotel Manager was the problem. The ship showed a reflection of his attitude. We requested to talk to him, and after 3 days we received a message that his assistant would make time to talk with us. We never saw the Hotel Manager. You would think being in an owner's suite, a diamond plus member, and a stock holder in the company, you would at least get a little attention. I hear he will be gone in January.

Sonny
Old 12-29-2006, 05:35 AM

I've stayed in a Junior Suite on two separate RCCL ships and tipped at the suggested daily amount. However, I also tip the cabin steward at the time I request the little extra things - more bath towels, fresh (or missing) pool towels, extra blankets, more ice, etc.

I also tip above the "service charge" on the bar bill when I run into a great server. I always make sure I go back to that person, who in turn, gives me even greater service, and my drinks end up exactly like I want them. An example was a wonderful young lady at the Schooner Bar on Splendor O/S - Josephine (12/4-9/06). Extra tipping aside, she was wonderful and attentive. Next time anyone has the opportunity to do so, seek her out.

Closed Thread

Tags
160, cruise, cruises, day, gratuity, rc, rccl, tipping