Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 08:59 AM

I am math dumb but can someone help me with tipping for a family of 4 on a 7 day. I have heard $10 per person per day. But is that my person, theirs or both. For instance do I tip 3 waiters, and a roomsteward $10 each for each of us, which equals what.. $160 per day? Soo...looking at over $1000 in tips for our family for the week..or how does it work. Sorry I can't seem to get this. Maybe its just sticker shock that the tips will be nearly as much as the cruise...then I hear to tip more for better service.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Royal Caribbean's suggested gratuity amounts are posted here.

Unless you are in a suite, this adds up to $9.75 per person/per day. So for four people, this is $39 per day or $273 for the whole cruise for everybody.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

the suggestion is $10 a day for each passenger...so 4 x 7 =28 x 10= $280

i have a rant about my last cruise on rccl
as far as the tips on bar service...they are mandatory...so they should be called service charges...they charged me 15% on top of my soda card package and when i bought a few souvineer glasses for an extra $4 a drink they topped it with a 15% tip so glasses cost $4.60 extra...carnival will adjust such charges, RCCL claims its a company policy and that the bar "tips" can not be removed for any reason...so I say call them service charges, and stop lying by calling them tips...you need a calculator to figure out the price of a drink and all the other nickle and dime charges they add on...

i will post a complete review of the sad cruise we took on empress of the seas as soon as i find time.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Unless you are in a suite,
Dave,
I find it curious that RCI feels that they need to advise passengers that a "Suite Attendant" should be tipped $2.25 per day more than the "Stateroom Attendant". Holland America does not make that distinction. They add a flat $10/person/day to your on-board charges whether you are in an inside stateroom or a Deluxe Veranda Suite (as I was on this last cruise). HA must assume that Suite passengers are going to be naturally more generous and don't need prompting to tip accordingly.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Chuck,

Where have you been? Not many posts lately.

The one that annoyed me was on Celebrity when we had a suite (twice). It came with a butler and a cabin steward, which doubled the tip load and was confusing since the duties were split up quite finely. We hardly used the butler - he'd show up in the afternoon pushing a cart of tea and cookies. I would have preferred opting out and just going with the steward.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all your help that clears up a lot. It could be that the suite stewarts have less cabins than the other stewards. I would imagine a suite would take longer to clean.

Either way it turns out much more reasonable than I had feared.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Dave,do you tip different when you stay in Junior suite or is it the same amount as a regular room? The last time we were on the Mariner I wanted to tip my stateroom attendant $3.50 per person per day. My daughter said it's not the right amount because she called the guest relations and they said that it is $4.75 per person per day if you stay in a junior suite. So,I ended up tipping the attendant the suggested amount, even if the amount was not correct he still deserved the money because he did an excellent job while we were on the cruise. The reason I asked is so that next time I will know how much to tip. I'm still new to the cruising things . Thank you.
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 PM

I have never minded the suggested tipping. In fact, I generally tip above the suggested amount.

My reasoning..

Our tips probably are the bulk of the salary these hard working people receive. I have often wanted to tip them directly, but I understand they can get in trouble if caught.

They work very hard so I can play and take it easy.

Have a great one... QTPie
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM
We had 2 junior suites and besides the amount that the guest relations suggested, we gave an the attendant an additional $25 for each room.

I see that you leave for your cruise in 2 days. You're so lucky! Have fun on your trip!
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 12-27-2006, 10:25 PM

Thanks..

My wife is more of a cruiser than I am. This will only be my third. But I have loved every one of them.

I am already scouting for our next cruise. Any suggestions?

QTPie

Closed Thread

Tags
160, cruise, cruises, day, gratuity, rc, rccl, tipping