Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Tips for Liberty of the Seas (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/24706-tips-liberty-seas.html)

Courteliz 12-15-2010 10:38 AM

My family and I leave on the Liberty of the Seas in about a month. My husband and I are experienced cruisers and are taking our 19 month old son for the first time with his grandparents and great aunt and uncle. I am trying to be well prepared since we are traveling with a toddler. We are flying in the day before and staying 10 minutes from Port of Miami. What is the best time to arrive with the least wait to board ? We have already down pre-check in online. In the past my husband and I always just came straight from the airport and had a very minimal wait. But I have been reading some recent posts of really long boarding. Is 11 AM good or is that too early ?

Also, I was looking at some old Cruise Compasses from this past summer and the activities section did not list any Royal Babies or Tots activites. I thought they have 2 play sessions a day. ANy recent cruisers remember seeing these playgroups.

Do you need tickets for the ice show ? And if so how are those dispersed ?

Finally, I have also seen some comments that RCL did away with in room babysitting because they are going to add a Nursery to the Liberty. However, this is the next cruise after ours when it will open. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this for sure. Its not a bid deal I am just wondering if the option is out there.

MCPayne 12-15-2010 03:12 PM

Hi. I haven't been on the Liberty, but have been on the Freedom, Liberty's sister ship.

Unfortunately, I don't have kids, so I can't help you there. What I can help you with is the ice skating show.

When I was on my last cruise on the Freedom (October of 2010), tickets were still being issued for the ice skating show. Check your cruise compass for the day and time. It will usually be that first full day. What dinner seating you have depends on what time you can choose. Example, if you have the late seating, then you cannot choose the 9:00 pm time for the ice skating show, as this will conflict with your dinner seating. It is not necessary for everyone in your group to go down to get tickets. Just one person needs to go, and tell them how many tickets you want. Get down there early to maximize the chances of you getting the show time that you want.

tanyababanya 12-15-2010 06:27 PM

Hi, we were on the Liberty in October. You don't need tickets for the ice show. Like the compass says, the Ice Show is open seating and the doors open 30 minutes prior to the showtime. It runs 45 minutes from start to finish. Try to get there approximately half an hour early though. On our sailing, they had five shows with different times and days, so like MCPayne said, just chose the time that does not conflict with your dinner time.

Also, boarding at 11 is a good idea. We were there around noon and it was a super long line already. So I guess a lot of people came around 10:45 or 11:00. Got to remember to do that on our next cruise!

I can't help you with the Royal Babies activities though because my youngest "baby" just turned sixteen http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo.../icon_wink.gif

Have a wonderful cruise!

-Tanya

Jim1012 12-16-2010 05:32 AM

We were on Liberty this past September. They do have baby sitting service IF one of the crew can be found by the customer service desk to do it. Also, if you have a large enough cabin to have concierge service, Mario Adonis Reyes is the concierge and MAY be able to assist. He is on Deck #10, and his extension is #3190.
I am one that found that the port was very lacking in it's ability to board and check you in. We got there before 11 am, and the lines were terrible, and moving like a three wheeled wagon, PLUS they got our on-board expense account all screwed up, and the fact that we had the biggest cabin on the ship didn't make it any easier to board. As I've said before, it's no wonder RCL is leaving Miami. We have usually gone on Mariner when she was at Port Canaveral, and have always had your basic balcony cabin in the past. Port Canaveral made Miami look like beginners. BTW, the ship is wonderful-once on board, you WILL love her. Have a great time, and try and have a little more patience than I had; you will need it.

Courteliz 12-16-2010 05:50 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreicate the tips. I will probably show up around 11 AM in the hopes of being on board by at least noon. That is usually lunch time for my little one. But, I'll make sure I pack snacks just in case.

We left out of Miami two times before, granted on much smaller ships, and never had line problems. I remember longer lines Ft. Lauderdale. Were your cruises Sunday departures ? I am also hoping leaving on a Sunday is less hectic.

Jim1012 12-16-2010 10:12 AM

Our cruise was a Saturday departure and arrival. I have to say that getting off the ship was much easier than getting on; a little on the slow side once you were on land and getting your bags, but relatively simple. I'm sorry but I cannot remember if we got our bags before going through customs at Port Canaveral, but we did have to drag them through customs at Miami. Things would move much faster if you got your bags AFTER going through customs. I'm sure there is a reason for doing it the way they do now, but I do not remember ANYONE at customs looking through ANYONE'S bag for illegal items; i.e too much booze, cigars, etc. If they're not going to check, then let passangers get their bags after standing in lines for customs. Anyhow, I'm admitting that I am NOT the most patient man on the planet.

MCPayne 12-16-2010 04:31 PM

Jim

On my cruise on the Freedom, leaving and arriving from Port Canaveral, we got our bags before clearing customs.

RollTide 12-17-2010 08:58 AM

I recall we got our bags after Customs at both Miami and Seattle.

Cruising Dude 12-17-2010 11:08 AM

I love the Liberty Of The Seas. We had a great time on it last year. My favorite place at night was Bolero's.

Midwest Cruiser 12-17-2010 02:08 PM

I just looked through our Liberty of the Seas cruise compasses from Oct/Nov and I did not seeing anything on the Royal Babies or Tots activities. They may be listed in the separate Adventure Ocean compass that is distributed by age group. I do remember seeing them setup each night in Cloud Nine on Deck 15 but the location would vary based on the events scheduled for your sailing. I would recommend checking with Adventure Ocean when you board.

Tickets are not required for the ice show on the Liberty of the Seas.

Enjoy your cruise!