Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Well we are leaving in a month and I am getting excited!!

I would love to hear everyone's advice..Good and bad of activities on Freedom (NOT ports)..What to do, what to stay away from (places not worth wait, food maybe not that great, etc)

I know this may be a broad topic but would really love to hear everyones thoughts.

Thanks

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Hi Candice!

I'm getting excited for my cruise as well, and as far as activities, that depends on what you want to do.

From what I understand, you should definitely try to see the ice skating show. Tickets are handed out for this. Check your cruise compass (which will be delivered the night before to your stateroom). The tickets for the ice show from what I understand are given out that Monday of your cruise (when you are at sea the whole day).

Also, if you're up for it, I might try the ice skating on their ice skating rink. Again, check your cruise compass for the open skating times. If you do this, you must wear long pants and socks (more so for your safety than anything else if you fall).

As far as other suggestions, I have heard good things about Portofino's and Chop's Grill, which are the specialty restaurants on board. There are cover charges for these restaurants, but from what I hear, they're well worth it.

Also, if you like burgers, fries, or shakes, I would recommend at least taking a look at Johnny Rockets. This is a $4.95 cover charge, all you can eat. Drinks are extra.

The Flow Rider also looks interesting on the pool deck, but bear in mind depending on what you do there, there is a minimum height requirement. I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to have read that somewhere.

I have a feeling this ship is going to be one of those "So much to do, and not enough time to see / do it all" type of ships.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 PM

The Freedom is an awesome ship. I always tell people to make sure they see the Ice Show...

It's fun watching people wipe-out on the Flowrider which is in the back of the ship...

Another neat feature is the cantilevered jacuzzi's which are 180 feet above the water...

You're going to love your cruise vacation on the Freedom Of The Seas!

Sonny
Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 AM

MCPayne and Sonny

Thanks!! Went to out travel agent yesterday she also said to go to Johnny Rockets (She stated they will keep bringing you food till you can't eat anymore..And after you leave there you will need a nap)
Sonny thanks for pics..I love looking at pics. LOVED the jacuzzi pic..Will def. have to go there. Debating weather or not to go on flowrider..I did take some surfing lessons in Hawaii managed to get up and stay up a few times BUT if I fall on flowrider may not like all the people watching me.

Did tell husband I wanted to go ice skating and I got a funny look..Not really sure what the look meant..Worst case I go by myself (while he laughs at me if I fall)

Thanks again

Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Great pictures, Sonny! I can't wait for my cruise, and am counting down the days!

Candice, as you stated, just because your husband may not want to go ice skating doesn't mean you can't.

My last cruise I went on didn't have a Johnny Rockets, but I plan on going there at least once this coming cruise. Not sure if you've been to a Johnny Rockets here in the US, but if you go there, there's a chance you may see the waiters sing / dance! It depends on what song they pre-selected to dance to, and when it comes on over the restaurant PA / jukebox system. $4.95 isn't that bad, and it's actually cheaper than a Johnny Rockets here, since the $4.95 is all you can eat. Again, soda and other drinks there is extra.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 PM

You'll see them dance and sing-they do it every 20 minutes--you can even join in if you want.

Sonny
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 AM

MCPayne, We do have a Johnny Rockets here. I know for a fact I am not going to have time to do everything.
Sonny I told my husbad about jacuzzi he said he will not go in with me..Kinda freaked him out..Being above water with nothing else under you bothers him..(Does not bother me..Another thing I will be doing on my own). I'll just have to do that when he is taking a nap
I still got to get my soda package..Really hoping husband pays for mine(I paid for his).

Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 AM

You will love the Freedom, we did the Liberty in 2007. This was our daughter's first cruise at the tender age of 8!!! She loved the pool areas, the rock climbing and the ice show. Make sure and get in line early for the ice show as it is a long line, it usually takes up the entire length of the Promenade!!! Johnny Rockets is awesome and we must have played 10 rounds of mini golf!! With a young child, we didn't get to check out the cantilevered hot tubs but they looked awesome. There are so many things to see and do, you won't get to them all in 7 days. The top side pool area is great for the children as well. The Freedom/Liberty are great ships and beautifully decorated. BTW, you won't regret getting the drink package. Try the Mango Tango one time and get it in a souvenir glasss. Bring the glass home and then every time you make the drink, you can sit back and dream you are still on the ship!!! BTW, I have the drink recipe if you like it!!!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM

electech
Thanks. I totally forgot Freedom had mini golf..Yes I'm an adult and will most likely do that. I will most likely get souvenir glass..Sounds like a drink I will like..Will most likely get recipe from ya.. THANKS

Old 09-22-2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the information about the line for the ice show, electech. I'll make sure I'm up early that day. I forgot about the mini golf course, but that's something else I want to try when I'm on the ship.

Sonny, great photo as always with the waiters from Johnny Rockets!

I did the rock wall on my last cruise. However, be forewarned. Even if your cruise compass says it's open, if it's too windy, they will close it. This happened on my last cruise on the Enchantment.

Closed Thread

Tags
activities, age, caribbean, children, compass, count, cruise, flow, freedom, restriction, reviews, rider, royal, seas, teen