Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 AM

I am cruising from port canaveral on 8/4/06 to bahamas. great timing i know. t.s. chris is scheduled to hit there fri p.m. rccl currently has no plans to cancel. anyone have experience with storms, cancellations, itinerary changes?
thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 09:05 AM

If there is a change in the itinerary, the cruise line will let you know. They will not put you or your fellow passengers in danger. Chris just might decide to go somewhere else, or fizzle out, one never knows. Here's hoping for clear skies and smooth sailing!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

I've had an itinerary change because of a hurricane. Obviously RCCL won't knowingly cruise into the area projected to be hit. It is often the case that the cruise line won't change things until embarkation morning. This is because they need to wait and see what track the storm is on, and if it appears that the track won't change. In our case it was Celebrity and they handed us a copy of the new itinerary as we entered the terminal.

In your case, with it being a 3-day cruise, you will have little or no options for alternate ports. Yours could either be cancelled or become a cruise to nowhere.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 AM

thank you penny for the kind wishes. Dave, a "cruise to nowhere" sounds ominous and is exactly what i hope doesn't happen.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Administrator

I'd love a cruise with no port stops! Secretly, the cruise lines do too - all the money is spent aboard the ship.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 AM

In you opinion, what would the perks of a cruise with no port stops be? (for the passengers, not the cruise lines)
Old 08-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Many people prefer the at-sea days since things are more relaxed. This is especially true for those of us who have been to the Caribbean and Bahamas so many times that we could probably operate the tours as well as the locals! We cruise for the ship experience.

Obviously this won't work for those who look at the ship as just a conveyence from one port to another.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM

Dave has it right. The ship days are fun for me. Don't get me wrong, I like the ports, but I have been to many of them at least once and would not mind not stopping. Like Freeport. There is NO need to get off the ship there.

As far as itinerary changes go. We took two cruises last year. One followed a hurricane (one before Katrina) into Cozumel and they didn't change anything until we got to the terminal. They handed out paper copies.. they just reverse the port order so that we followed the hurricane instead of sailing into it. The second cruise happen the week after Rita hit and it left out of Galveston. We thought the cruise would be cancelled but they operated normally. As one captain stated, the ship can move faster than a hurricane they can always go where the hurricane isn't. and they have enough operating ports that they will take you somewhere...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Days at sea are ok for me, but it's a little too crowded. Staying on the ship when most passengers are ashore is what I like. Last year we were suppost to join our friends who were on a back to back cruise on the Majesty when Wilma hit Miami. They said they had a great time at sea. Most passengers had a free two day cruise extension. My wife and I lost two days off our cruise as we were stuck in Miami. Never been in a hurricane before, never will be again.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:57 AM

My wife is a travel agent and she has told me in the past that sometimes they will do the itinerary backwards and trail the storm so they dont run into it.

I look forward to days at see so I can lay out on the deck with an alcoholic beverage of choice and relax. Dont get me wrong I like getting off the ship to run around, but at sea days are nice too

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, chris, cruise, lines, storm, tropical