Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I was surfing around this morning and came across an article from several months ago that mentioned a deal between Haiti and RCI. An 800 foot long dock will be built at Labadee and is hoped to be completed by September 2009 (according to another source). A primary motivation for this is the Oasis Of The Seas. Tendering will most definitely not be a good process for moving 5400+ passengers, and so RCI is doing whatever needs to be done to ensure this ship (and her sister) dock at ports.

You can read the article here.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Is it going to be a T-shaped pier or some configuration other than a straight pier? Considering that the draft of the ship will probably not enable it to utilize the entire 800ft. of pier length, will it be possible to dock a 1184ft. ship without using thrusters to keep it in place?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

I haven't see the design. Using stand-alone mooring points that are not attached to the dock would be an option. Ships going there now use anchor moorings.

The thing with azipod ships is they don't need thrusters. They can stay stationary just using the azipods at a low rpm.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM

That's true, Dave... I didn't think about that. With everyone building things bigger and better, I think that RCCL should build a pier to rival Progreso. Heck, if you are going to spend the money, why not build a pier long enough to park a fleet. All of a sudden, I find my thoughts drifting to a certain bridge proposed in Alaska.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Dave you are wrong again, ships with azipods still have thrusters-- the azipods have less drag and save fuel and take up less space unlike the large shaft type, also azipods can turn much better-- but the still use thrusters to move from the docks and to the docks
Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Dave you are wrong again,
You seem to enjoy saying that. It really isn't necessary to parse everything I post.

In this instance I was referring to the fact that they don't need thrusters to stay stationary, I didn't mean to say they don't have them. My source for this information (about using the azipods to remain stationary) is Captain Bill Wright, the Senior VP of Operations for RCI.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
hoped to be completed by September 2009 (according to another source). A primary motivation for this is the Oasis Of The Seas. Tendering will most definitely not be a good process for moving 5400+ passengers
That's right Dave. According to RC President Adam Goldstein, when I attended his webinar with AAA, he said that the new Labadee Pier will be completed for the Oasis because they will NOT be tendering from that ship. Also the ships' home port was between Miami and Port Everglades, but Miami wasn't in a position to make changes necessary to accommodate Oasis.

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
20 YEARS OF CRUISEING
Howdy there, Cruise Boy.

You might want to check your own stuff before correcting others. There is no "E" in "cruising".
Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
now now girls and boys.
who actually gives a damn as long as they can get you off the ship as quickly and as safely as possibly who cares.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM

you are 2 funny!

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas

Closed Thread

Tags
carribbean, cruise, dock, haiti, labadee, line, pier, piers, rccllabadeepierlength, rci, royal, texas, update