Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 PM

Ok, We're back!
Our trip on the Monarch is officially in the books... Here's my take on it.. We were on deck 8 obstructive view toward the aft. The view was fine and the room was a smaller than the interior room on the last Carnival ship we went on. Stateroom service was fine. Dining service was good...just a little slow... The food was GREAT!! but NO LOBSTER...There was a lobster soup...so I guess you can say I had liquidfid lobster..(still pretty good).. The cruise director and entertainment staff was GREAT! Bar service good.. There was Something VERY different though... There were VERY and I mean VERY few staff members willing to go the distance for you, so to speak. The different one's I spoke to seemed overly TIRED. I don't know what was going on but something was. The general staff and shop cashiers were border line "moody". There was only one other thing I didn't like about our trip.. I ordered a drink and they added gratuity to the drink and had a place for "addition gratuity".. Me and my husband felt that we were nickled and dimed to death! My husband said the he would have tipped more and maybe even ordered more from the bar if they would not have added gratuity in advance.. I agree with an early comment I read on a different discussion.. I would rather pay more for the trip then to be nickel and dime to death during the trip. O and tip for anyone going to Cape Canaveral take I95 to the cape or the state of Flordia will dollar you to death with tolls... (We paid almost $7.00 in toll, one way)..Note: I've from Georgia were I don't ever remember paying to toll while traveling...lol
Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Welcome back and I'm glad to hear it was an overall nice cruise.

I suspect the crew is tired since they have just moved from the west coast to the east with the Monarch. As for the tips on drinks - they have always added 15% "in advance", and that includes all the main lines with the exception of HAL (although they started doing it a few years ago). The "extra tip" line was added two or three years ago. I think I saw the extra tip line on Carnival bar tabs this past summer, but I'll have to find my receipts to verify that. I'll give some real dollars to the bar staff over the course of the cruise and it helps.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:17 PM

Welcome back Boo! Glad you had a good cruise too.

The tolls were probably on 528? I take I-95 down and then east 528 after the last toll. That's probably easier when coming down from SC though.

Dave, I checked my tickets from Carnival lido bar and there wasn't an additional tip line. The only time I've seen a gratuity line is on the room service tickets. Which, if I don't have any small bills I write it in there.

I just give my regular bartenders (that do extra) some cash here and there too, or on the last day. Seems asking for more than the 15% on the ticket is a bit much.

Dwayne
Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The only time I've seen a gratuity line is on the room service tickets.
That must be what I am thinking of.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 AM

Welcome back Boo, glad you had a good cruise. Sorry it wasn't a fantastic cruise. The gratuities have been added for quite some time, as Dave stated. I haven't noticed an extra line either, but we normally tip extra anyway. Florida does love toll roads. When I was a child they were going to do away with the toll on the Sunshine State Parkway, as soon as it was paid for. I'm 55 now, so I know it's been paid for at least 10 times over. There's still a toll, so not sure what they're paying for now. Get busy planning the next cruise, it makes the debarkation blues so much easier!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Boo- I am leaving on Mariner this Sunday for a family cruise returning on the 7th and on Monday the 8th board Monarch with a bunch of others from work as a reward from our owners. With all the talk of smaller rooms on Monarch- Talk about downsizing! The Monarch trip will be with a bunch (10 total)of first timers so I hope the crew gets some rest before we board in two weeks. Since I am the one who set everything up I would hate for them to be disappointed with the trip. I know she just got here from the west coast; I was curious to know what the mix of ages was on your sailing?? It is a relatively cheap sailing compared to Mariner and the other ships I have been on and the guys were concerned since they are all 20 - 30 somethings. I have explained to them that ANY cruise is a good cruise, especially when we close up shop for a week and are nowhere near the amusement park! Any input about the crowd mix and further ship experience from you or the cruise guru's would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

The small standard cabins on the Monarch and Majesty are the last vestiges of the old Royal Caribbean, where the official view was small cabins=more public areas=passengers spending more time and money in the public areas. I'm glad they have gotten away from the smallish cabins over the years. They are functional for a 3/4 nighter.

If my August 3-night cruise on the Sovereign is any indication, the Monarch probably has most of it's passengers coming from Florida and other southeast states. People who can drive to the port in a few hours. Flying is not a good choice for many people when it comes to a short cruise. I flew in to MCO and the airport greeting crew was not overworked. In fact I was the only person they were waiting for on my flight.

I can't see many younger people aboard for a weekday cruise in early December. Most can't afford the time off so close to Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Years. There will be younger people but I'd expect to see more in the >40 to retiree range.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:42 AM

Thanks Dave! As usual you win with the quick response!!!!

Yeah, I know the timing is a bit off but it's our one shot at any type of vacation during the year because of the industry we work in.

You guys are so good on this forum. Keep the info coming....
Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Fezzek, when you board the Monarch, you'll really appreciate the difference between a Voyager class ship to smaller ships. I'm not saying that you won't enjoy the cruise any more, or any less; but, the difference between the two class ships is awesome. It's hard for me to imagine what the "Genesis" class ships are going to be like when I first board one.

Sonny
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fezzek:
Boo- I am leaving on Mariner this Sunday for a family cruise returning on the 7th and on Monday the 8th board Monarch with a bunch of others from work as a reward from our owners. With all the talk of smaller rooms on Monarch- Talk about downsizing! The Monarch trip will be with a bunch (10 total)of first timers so I hope the crew gets some rest before we board in two weeks. Since I am the one who set everything up I would hate for them to be disappointed with the trip. I know she just got here from the west coast; I was curious to know what the mix of ages was on your sailing?? It is a relatively cheap sailing compared to Mariner and the other ships I have been on and the guys were concerned since they are all 20 - 30 somethings. I have explained to them that ANY cruise is a good cruise, especially when we close up shop for a week and are nowhere near the amusement park! Any input about the crowd mix and further ship experience from you or the cruise guru's would be appreciated!
Thanks!
The Age: The majority of the people on our cruise were a little older.. I'm in my early 30's and there were plenty of those there. Make sure you go to the Men's belly flop contest it's a Hoo... and if any one is interested in dancing make sure you see Dazmen (I'm sure i butcher his name) He'll make sure you learn the dance...I did noticed that there were not quit so many crazy teens there.. If you go to Nassau check out the "Breezes" resort... $60.00 per person you can have FULL access to the all inclusive resorts...Drinks included... We didn't get to go to the Breeze's but wanted too.. I've heard that it's a nice place...

Jen

Closed Thread