Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   AOS moving to Los Angeles (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/25888-aos-moving-los-angeles.html)

etinca 03-24-2008 07:03 AM

Don't know if this has been covered or not, but we were informed by several crew members over the last week that Adventure of the Seas is moving to Los Angeles in 2009. It isn't listed for booking yet, so I don't know what has been published. Thought it was interesting news to share. No word on which ship will take its place in San Juan, but all the ports were claiming work happening to attract the Genesis project.

Casanova frankenstein 03-24-2008 08:40 AM

well I only know that we will not have anything like 220 tons on the San Juan port, even as a port of call.
Are you saying they are considering bring the new monster here??
I can guess that Aruba, Curacao, st.Martin and st.Thomas or any other port will have to remake the port just to fit that monster on the bay,even as a port of call, the way I see it in 2009 her point of emabarkation will be on Florida but which port of call is big enough to fit this ship on their bay?
So I can understand that the route will be very limited.
we will see who get it but I am sure we are not the lucky ones.

Sonny V 03-24-2008 09:04 AM

The Genesis will be docking in Fort Lauderdale.

Sonny

Casanova frankenstein 03-24-2008 09:06 AM

^^^^
thanks any info on their port of call??

Raoul Fiebig 03-24-2008 10:19 AM

Hello everybody,

according to the preliminary 2009 itineraries I have received from RCI, "Adventure of the Seas" is listed as operating out of San Juan until January 3rd, 2010.

Of course, "Mariner of the Seas" will move to Los Angeles in 2009 and her replacement at Port Canaveral will be "Freedom of the Seas".

As for the "Genesis" ships, both are currently scheduled to operate from Port Everglades. The intended itineraries are:

Eastern Caribbean: Port Everglades - San Juan (Puerto Rico) - Philipsburg (St. Maarten) - Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas) - Port Everglades

Western Caribbean: Port Everglades - San Juan (Puerto Rico) - Labadee (Haiti) - Cozumel (Mexico) - Falmouth (Jamaica) - Port Everglades

These are the ships' "likely" itineraries, according to John Tercek, vp commercial development for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Casanova frankenstein 03-24-2008 10:28 AM

Well if that the case Puerto Rico is late as always I have not read anything on the news about it. I guess our port is way deapper than I use to think...is the only way they can fit that Cruise ship on it.

livetotravel 03-24-2008 03:31 PM

Why do cruise ships stick to the same itineraries for so long. I like cozumel but how many times do I want to go there. There are so many islands in the carribean to choose from.

Raoul Fiebig 03-24-2008 06:22 PM

livetotravel,

as far as my personal preferences are concerned, I very much agree with you.

However, we must understand that for huge ships such as the "Genesis" vessels in particular, few destinations offer the infrastructure necessary to accommodate them. And few will be willing and / or able to build or enlarge facilities for them, as well.

etinca 03-26-2008 11:54 AM

According to travelocity, the AOS is now only booking through April 2009 in San Juan, nothing past that at this time. Since I am in San Diego, and really enjoyed the ship, I am hoping for the move to LA as well. I'm sure we'll just wait and see.

Raoul Fiebig 03-26-2008 01:55 PM

etinca,

bookings for RCI's Caribbean cruises after the end of April, 2009 are not yet open for booking.

I have just rechecked with RCI: The ship is currently scheduled to finish its final cruise of the 2008/2009 winter season on April 26th, 2009 after which it will enter dry-dock at Grand Bahama shipyard on April 28th, returning to San Juan May 6th, 2009. From there it is scheduled to operate a single four-night cruise May 6th - 10th, followied by a series of alternating 7-night cruises out of San Juan until May 2nd, 2010 (!).