Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Arrive in Miami at 8:45 AM (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/25908-arrive-miami-8-45-am.html)

tbc7001 07-02-2008 05:52 PM

Hi, My husban and I are going on the Majesty of the Seas this Monday, July 7th. We are so excited! We are flying into Miami International Airport from New Orleans. The only straight flight we could get puts us in Miami at 8:45 AM.
Question #1: Since we get in so early, any ideas on what we can do to kill time before we get to the port? And what time should we get to the port?
Question #2: Does Royal Caribbean offer any service to get our luggage to the ship? For example, Disney World has a shuttle service even if it's just your luggage going to the resort. Or are we stuck with our bags until we get to the ship?
Thanks so much! I just love this website and have already gotten invaluable information!
Tracie
New Orleans, LA

Berick1234 07-02-2008 06:52 PM

Unless you bought a transfer package from your TA or RCL, you will have to haul it to the ship yourself....it's a 20 minute, or so, cab ride from the airport to the ship.....but you won't be able to board the ship until around Noon or 1:00...I've lucked out a few times and got on the ship at 11:30....but don't expect your room to be ready...just go have lunch or up to the buffet and start your feeding frenzy.....Happy Sailing..

Bob E

Sonny V 07-02-2008 08:19 PM

Hello Tracie, welcome to Cruise-Chat! I can't really think of anything to do just for a couple of hours. It'll be around 9:30 by the time you get your luggage and a cab. I always get to the port around 11:00 AM. We usually board the ship before noon unless there is a problem with the disembarkation. Once on the ship you can head to the windjammer for a great buffet lunch. You won't be able to go to your room before 1:00 PM, so you'll have to hang on to your carry-on until then. Your luggage will be taken by porters at the terminal and will get to your cabin some time during the afternoon.

Sonny

tbc7001 07-03-2008 04:29 PM

Thank you for your advice!! I really appreciate it!

Tracie

fiveparty 07-06-2008 08:13 AM

On the same topic ---- is it easy to find a taxi and are there plenty of taxi's available to take you to the pier from the miami airport? We're not sure if we should purchase the transfer ticket through our TA or taxi it.

drlivingston 07-06-2008 08:29 AM

Plenty of taxis are readily available and you will have no problem hailing one of them. I really can't think of anything to do while you are in Miami. My mode of thinking would be to find a local pub, drink, and watch the clock. Of course, you guys are arriving so early... plus you come from Nawlins, I guess bars are not the first thing on your agenda.

TrvlPro 07-06-2008 09:13 AM

Welcome fiveparty, I like to kill a little time at an airport coffee shop with a good book when I arrive too early. Then head out to the taxi stand, usually right outside baggage claim. I prefer the taxi to a motor-coach so don't even consider transfers unless the airport and pier are a log didtance appart like Port Canaveral from Orlando or Galveston. The cost is usually about the same either way but with a cab you can save a great deal of time often.

Cheers, Neil

Dave 07-06-2008 09:36 AM

The coffee shop is a good idea. Although I like to hit the lunch buffet in the Windjammer as soon as I board, I also don't like the idea of showing up at the ship too hungry. Grabbing a little snack at the airport (or breakfast if you haven't had it) is recommended.

The taxis at MIA have a set fare from the airport to the port - $24 not including tip.

fiveparty 07-06-2008 09:44 AM

Thank you all for your advice. We'll definitely pass on the transfer and take the taxi from Miami to the pier.

How about on the way back? Here's our situation, our flight doesn't leave Miami until 8PM and arrives in Toronto at 11PM. Since we're travelling with 2 seniors (75 yrs), 2 (forty somethings) and 2 (16 yr olds). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cruise Fanatic 07-06-2008 09:58 AM

The ship usually offers some type of excursion in Miami for those who have late flights. I would consider doing one. Your luggage will be on the excursion bus, so You won't have to worry about that. The excursion will end by dropping you off at the airport.